Arthur Zankel Urban FellowshipSkip to content Skip to main navigation
Office of School and Community Partnerships
Arthur Zankel Urban Fellowship
The Arthur Zankel Urban Fellowship is a financial aid award in the amount of $10,000 per academic year for Teachers College students to work with disadvantaged inner-city youth. The Zankel Fellowship is made possible by a gift from the estate of Arthur Zankel, who was an esteemed trustee of Teachers College. The Zankel Urban Fellows carry on Mr. Zankel's legacy of passion for education by contributing their expertise to programs serving disadvantaged inner-city youth.
Zankel Fellows undertake an internship during the academic year in an approved educational program. They are required to spend at least five hours per week working directly with youth. A list of current approved internship sites is maintained by the Office of School and Community Partnerships and made available on this site. During the application process, students request and are matched to an approved internship site according to their skills, interests and experience. The internship is supervised by a TC sponsor, who is a faculty/staff member.
- Be matriculated or fully-admitted to a masters or doctoral degree program at Teachers College (international students are not eligible during their first year of study)
- Have consecutive enrollment for a minimum of six credits in the fall and spring semesters
- Have demonstrated financial need, as determined by TC's Office of Financial Aid based on the central college application
- Exhibit the interests, skills, experiences and/or characteristics that are a good match to the purpose of the fellowship and the approved service internship
- Be available to complete the required internship during the normal school day in both fall and spring semesters (not all the sites are compatible with a student teaching schedule)
The application period for the 2017-2018 academic year is now open and available here. Applications will be received on a rolling basis through June 30, 2017, but applicants are strongly encouraged to submit an application by the PRIORITY DEADLINE of May 5, 2017.
Please click the tabs above for more information, to review the list of internship sites recruiting students for 2017-2018, and to submit an application.
To read the most recent Zankel Fellows' activity reports, click on the links below.