New York State Education Department and Certification
In order to hold a teaching or administrative position in New York State, a candidate must be certified by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) as having met the education, examination, and experience requirements necessary to teach a particular subject at the prescribed grade level.
In New York City, candidates are also required to hold a license, issued by the NYC Department of Education. Certification ensures that all teachers in New York State are being held to a high standard; that they have been adequately prepared, are competent, and have had the proper experience required for the position.
Teachers College aims to prepare candidates for a career in Education or Administration and Pupil Personnel Services. Our programs are designed to give our candidates the coursework needed to meet the certification requirements as set forth by the New York State Education Department.
Candidates are encouraged to visit the Office of Teaching Initiatives website frequently to keep themselves abreast of all updates in regulations.
Teachers College programs were re-registered with NYS in 2003-2004, and tailored to meet current NYS standards, effective 2/2/2004. Completion of a state-registered program means that candidates have met at least the minimum education requirements for a NYS certificate in that particular area. On the NYSED website Search Certification Requirements page, this is referred to as the Approved Teacher Preparation Pathway.
NYSED CERTIFICATION GUIDE
- Application Fee Schedule
- Newly Certified Teachers Employment Date
- Time Extension of a Provisional, Initial or Transitional Certificate
- Re-Issuance of an Expired Initial certification
Take advantage of resources at Teachers College
Our office is ready to help you with certification questions, so be sure to attend our "Ins and Outs of Teacher Certification" sessions or set up a meeting with our Certification Officer.
The Office of Career Services maintains job listings that you will want to review. They also offer workshops to help you develop an informative and appealing resume, acquire additional certification information, and hone your interviewing skills.
Career Services also hosts numerous job fairs which give you the opportunity to speak with recruitment personnel from both public and private schools in NY and elsewhere.
Remember to talk to faculty who also receive numerous job announcements and know much about schools in the area. Be sure to plan ahead as you consider recommendation letters.
NYSED Types of Certificates and Licenses
- Effective 02/01/2010, paper certificates will no longer be printed for time-limited certificates such as Initial & Provisional.
- The New York State Education Department (NYSED) TEACH online system should be used to verify certification status
Click HERE for more information regarding this decision.
- New Exams for Teacher and School Building Leader Certification to be Released in 2012.
Click HERE for more information.
- The availability of the "Individual Evaluation Pathway" to certification has been extended to May 1, 2014.
Click HERE for more information.
- Students in an education program leading to Initial or Professional certification at Teachers College are eligible for NY State teacher certification, upon satisfaction of all NYSED "Core Liberal Arts and Science" certification requirements and degree/program requirements.
- Students who are NOT in a program registered with NYS, as leading to certification, should contact OTE for more information, or refer to the New York State Certification website.