Teacher Opportunity Corps
You may be eligible for the TOC Program if:
- You do not yet hold a New York State Permanent or Professional Certificate,
- You expect to be admitted (or have already been accepted) into a targeted Masters' Degree program at Teachers College, Columbia University,
- You are African American, Latino(a), Native American or Alaskan-Native, and
- You are a New York State resident and/or a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
The TOC Program aims to provide students with the most current research and resources on teaching students in high-needs urban schools, to provide support during both pre-service preparation and induction into the teaching profession.
Participation in a specially developed TOC cohort seminar which draws upon Teachers College faculty, educators and education policymakers from New York City.
Components of Award:
- TOC stipend of $500 per semester,
- Free books on urban education,
- Reimbursements for two teacher certification exams.
Additional college-wide assistance including Teachers College general scholarships, minority group scholarships, low-interest loans, work-study opportunities and a tuition deferment plan is available to full and part time students through TC.
For more information on the TOC Program contact:
Julia Yu, Associate Director - School-based Support Services
525 W. 120th Street, Box 97
New York, NY 10027