Program Area: Office of Higher Education
Program Office: Teacher and Leader Effectiveness, Policy and Programs
Manager/Chief: Julia Rafal-Baer
- Office/Bureau Description
The mission of the Office of Teacher and Leader Effectiveness, Policy and Programs is to ensure that every student in every classroom has the opportunity to have great teachers and leaders in support of the goal that all students are college and career ready. The Office is focused on supporting New York State's leaders as they build systems that can ensure all educators are provided with the support they need to continuously grow professionally and achieve maximum results with all students. The Office works to support the goal of the Regents Reform Agenda: to support the recruitment, development and retention of the most effective teachers and school leaders.
- Intern's Supervisor
- The Assignment (Description of Job)
The intern will engage in practical, hands-on learning opportunities by:
- Assist in the development of a comprehensive database for approved Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) plans, which will include verifying data, labeling plan information, and conducting quality checks on the database.
- This will involve viewing data contained in the database, and referencing plans online to correctly label various pieces of information.
- It will also involve quality checking qualitative labels already been done and identifying errors and gaps in information.
- Work with staff from the Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Unit (TLE) and Information Technology Services (ITS) team to maintain the APPR database.
- This will involve implementing pre-written codes and processes to add new information to the database and reporting any potential issues in these processes.
- Work with TLE staff to understand and identify key information contained in APPR plans to develop comprehensive reports and analysis for output.
- This will involve the development of a basic familiarity with the format and contents of an APPR plan in order to comprehensively label information and identify possibilities for further reporting and analysis
- Work with TLE staff to create draft reports and letters in order to communicate information regarding the contents of APPR plans to Districts/BOCES.
- This will involve application of knowledge of the contents of APPR plans and strong attention to detail. Must have skills and familiarity with Excel and Word. Must be able to format spreadsheets. Familiarity with Access is a strong preference.
4 . Intern Development Plan
The intern will receive an orientation to the State Education Department, the Office of Higher Education and the various areas of work of the Office of Teacher and Leader Effectiveness, Policy and Programs. He/she will be provided many opportunities to learn how the work of the Department is shaped by, and in turn, shapes public policy. The Intern will interact with a wide variety of educational leaders who represent the statewide sectors of public and private education.
5. Duration: May 1, 2014 - August 31, 2014
6. Application Instructions
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application (depending on degree level) to email@example.com Please include Box number (OHE-4) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.
Graduate Student Internship Application: (166 KB)
Undergraduate Student Internship Application (166 KB)
2. Position title: Tutor
Location: NYC, Brooklyn & Westchester
About Bespoke Education, Inc.
Bespoke Education, Inc. is one of NYC and Westchester’s leading tutoring and test prep companies, working with students in elementary school through graduate school to prepare them for standardized tests, to help with school work and organizational issues, and to offer tutoring for school courses. We provide our clients access to many services, including college counseling, educational testing and therapy, and mock testing.
We are currently seeking experienced tutors for the ACT/SAT, ISEE, SSAT, SHSAT, and SAT IIs in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Literature and/or Math 1 & 2 to work with clients throughout Westchester. Our tutors, from a diversity of exceptional educational and professional backgrounds, teach an entire range of high school subjects and standardized tests. We hire bright, talented, and passionate people with substantial teaching experience and are always on the lookout for tutors who seem like a good fit. We provide training, support, and a fantastic community feeling hard to find elsewhere. Our tutors love working with us!
• Demonstrate excellence in teaching, client and classroom management
• Deliver, tailor and supplement curriculum in a way that fosters an engaged learning environment
• Mentor and guide students to optimal performance levels and mastery of material
• Document and communicate student progress (both internally and externally)
• Partner with administrative staff and families to ensure student needs are met
• Receive and respond to ongoing training & development
• You must have at least 2-3 years of experience working with children and their families, as well as be outgoing, charismatic, and detail-oriented.
• You must be able to work at least 5-10 hours per week in the evening or on weekends.
• You must have a car or have access to a car, as most jobs are done at clients' homes.
• We are looking primarily for people who are majoring in or have extensive coursework in math and/or science.
• You will be required to provide past standardized test scores and a transcript, and undergo a criminal background check.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you! Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about us, please visit www.bespokeeducation.com.
Compensation: 45-85/hour depending on background, with the potential for raises based on hours logged and evaluations.