Resources for Classrooms Program
Applications will be accepted from
October 1, 2012 UNTIL May 1, 2013
Description of Program
The Resources for Classrooms Program is designed to support teachers in New York City schools with materials for the classroom and provide opportunities for engaging instruction.
- Be a current cooperating teacher hosting a student teacher from Teachers College (TC) or
- Be a current student teacher in a teacher certification program at TC or
- Be a current Peace Corps Fellows from TC or
- Be a graduate of TC
Types of Materials
The materials must be consumed by the students and used in a classroom setting. If a teacher leaves, the materials must remain in the school. Basic supplies such as science kits or class sets of books will be approved. Items such as photocopy machines, pedagogical books designed for teachers, etc. will not be approved since they will not be used directly inside of a classroom.
How to Put in a Request
Mail receipts to:
Teachers College, Columbia University
525 West 120 Street, Box 97
New York, NY 10027
- Teacher submits a “Resource Request Form”
- Teacher receives approval or notice of disapproval for the project within 5 days
- If approved, teacher purchases all materials within30 days or loses funding
- Teacher submits original itemized receipts to the Office of Teacher Education
- Teacher receives a reimbursement check within 30 days of receipt submission
- End of school year: All winners showcase their projects at Teachers College Cooperating Teacher Appreciation Ceremony
Terms of Funding
A teacher can request a minimum of $50 and a maximum of $500 for a class project. Funds must be used for materials inside the classroom. Costs associated with field trips or after school activities are not eligible.
A visit will be made on the day the project is taking place or sometime thereafter by a representative from the Office of Teacher Education (OTE). Photos will be taken upon permission to be used for the presentations at the end of the year. Participation at the end of the year showcase will be required of all winners; non-participation in the showcase will disqualify an individual from receiving future funding from the Office of Teacher Education through this program.
End of Year Showcase Participation
All winners will be invited to participate in a showcase at Teachers Collegeat the end of the school year. An overview of the project including the goals and objectives, process, and end results should be shared. Participation in the showcase is a requirement in order to be eligible for funding in the next academic year. In addition, this is a wonderful item to put on a resume!
Please contact Julia Yu at email@example.com or at 212.678.8219 with any questions or concerns.