Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

AmeriCorps > About AmeriCorps

Site Navigation

PC fellows


About AmeriCorps

The AmeriCorps Professional Corps Program
Teachers College, Columbia University

The Peace Corps Fellows Program at Teachers College is an AmeriCorps Professional Corps Program of the Corporation for National and Community Service. The Peace Corps Fellows Program places Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) into full-time teaching positions in under-served, under-funded, hard-to-staff New York City public schools. The three-year program supports members as they pursue a master's degree and state certification through evening and summer coursework.


In order to qualify for AmeriCorps, Peace Corps Fellows must:
  1. Serve in a school with a student population of 50% or more that qualify to receive free or reduced school lunch.*
  2. Have not served in AmeriCorps for more than one (1) term (regardless of receiving a financial award or not).
  3. Provide proof of US Citizenship, permanent residency status, or a green card.**
  4. As a continuing AmeriCorps Fellow (2nd Year PCF members), delinquent forms from the previous year may prevent a second enrollment.

* Eligible documents for verification of free/reduced-price lunch school status:

(1) Any official report (most recent) of your district or state verifying Title I status of your school.
(2) An official letter from your principal (signed and on letterhead) verifying the Title I status of your school.

** Eligible documents for proof of citizenship or permanent residence:

The following are acceptable forms of certifying status as a U.S. citizen or national:

(1) A birth certificate showing that the individual was born in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands;
(2) A United States passport;
(3) A report of birth abroad of a U.S. Citizen (FS-240) issued by the State Department;
(4) A certificate of birth-foreign service (FS-545) issued by the State Department;
(5) A certification of report of birth (DS-1350) issued by the State Department;
(6) A certificate of naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570) issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service; or
(7) A certificate of citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561) issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

The following are acceptable forms of certifying status as a lawful permanent resident alien of the United States:

(1) Permanent Resident Card, INS Form I-551;
(2) Alien Registration Receipt Card, INS Form I-551;
(3) A passport indicating that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence; or
(4) A Departure Record (INS Form I-94) indicating that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence.

AmeriCorps Prohibited Activities

(a) While charging time to the AmeriCorps program, accumulating service or training hours, or otherwise performing activities supported by the AmeriCorps program or the Corporation, staff and members may not engage in the following activities:

(1) Attempting to influence legislation;
(2) Organizing or engaging in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes;
(3) Assisting, promoting, or deterring union organizing;
(4) Impairing existing contracts for services or collective bargaining agreements;
(5) Engaging in partisan political activities, or other activities designed to influence the outcome of an election to any public office;
(6) Participating in, or endorsing, events or activities that are likely to include advocacy for or against political parties, political platforms, political candidates, proposed legislation, or elected officials;
(7) Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted to religious instruction or worship, or engaging in any form of religious proselytization;
(8) Providing a direct benefit to—
(i) A business organized for profit;
(ii) A labor union;
(iii) A partisan political organization;
(iv) A nonprofit organization that fails to comply with the restrictions contained in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 except that nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent participants from engaging in advocacy activities undertaken at their own initiative; and
(v) An organization engaged in the religious activities described in paragraph (g) of this section, unless Corporation assistance is not used to support those religious activities;
(9) Conducting a voter registration drive or using Corporation funds to conduct a voter registration drive;
(10) Providing abortion services or referrals;
(11) Raising funds for living allowances or for an organization’s general (as opposed to project) operating expenses or endowment;
(12) Writing a grant application to the Corporation or to any other Federal agency; and
(13) Such other activities as the Corporation may prohibit.

(b) Individuals may exercise their rights as private citizens and may participate in the activities listed above on their initiative, on non-AmeriCorps time, and using non-Corporation funds. Individuals should not wear the AmeriCorps logo while doing so.

(c) For violating the above stated rules, the Program will do the following:
1.    for the Member’s first offense, an appropriate Program official will issue a written warning and reprimand to the Member;
2.    for the Member’s second offense, the Member will be placed on probation and may be suspended;
3.    for the Member’s third offense, the Program may release the Member for cause.

Please email Nicolas Stahelin ( if you have any questions relating to eligibility requirements.

About AmeriCorps
Find out more about AmeriCorps and the programs they support at Teachers College

See if you're eligible to participate in AmeriCorps

Education Award and Other Benefits
Learn about all about your Education Award and other AmeriCorps membership benefits

2011-2012 Enrollment Forms
All AmeriCorps deadlines and paperwork can be found here