Transcript NotationsSkip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College Policy Library
Owner: Vice Provost for Student Affairs
URL: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/policylibrary/Transcript Notations
The following notations will be placed on transcripts on or after September 1, 2015.
Permanent - remain in perpetuity
- “Expelled after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation” – for sexual violence or another crime reportable under the Clery Act.
- “Dean's Hold” - for disciplinary expulsions that do not require the notation above.
- “Readmission subject to academic/administrative review: Academic Scholarship” - for academic dismissal when student receives 8 credits or more of C- or lower.
- “Suspended after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation” – student has been temporarily suspended for sexual violence or another crime reportable under the Clery Act.
- “Disciplinary Suspension” - student has been temporarily suspended for reason(s) that do not require the notation above.
- “Academic Suspension” - student has been temporarily suspended for lack of progress to degree.
- “Withdrawal with pending disciplinary action” – student withdrew while disciplinary charge for sexual violence or another crime reportable under the Clery Act are pending.
In the 4 temporary categories, after a two-year period of absence, the student would be withdrawn as "Failed to Graduate," but the temporary category transcript notation would remain. "Failed to Graduate" would not appear on the transcript. If the student is allowed to register again at the College, the temporary notation would be removed.
Removal of Temporary Transcript Notations
Students may request removal of a temporary notation by petitioning the Vice Provost for Student Affairs. This request must be in writing and include the rational for the request. The Vice Provost for Student Affairs, or his or her designee, will review the request and provide a written response within 30 days from the date the request was received.
Revision Note: Adopted [September 1, 2015] to comply with NYS Education Law 129-B.
Responsible Office: Vice Provost for Student Affairs
Updated: September 2017