Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Help us improve
Office of the Registrar
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo

Office of the Registrar

Degree Information > How to File for a Masters Degree

How to File for a Masters Degree

Click on the corresponding links below for instructions on filing for MA, MS, and EDM degrees. Please read the complete instructions before filing the application.  Application forms must be original and are available in the Office of the Registrar. Doctoral Student should contact the Office of Doctoral Studies for information.

Degree Application Filing Deadline

Supplementary (pink) Form Due (MA & MS ONLY)

Date of Degree Award*

August 1

September 1


November 1

Janurary 2


February 1

April 30


Renewal for Application of Degree 

This form is to be used by candidates who have been declared ineligible for graduation after either the first application or any subsequent renewal for degree.

The renewal fee of $25 must be submitted with this form. Please submit the form and payment together to the Office of the Registrar. Please do not send currency through the mail. Payment by cash or credit card may be made at the Office of Student Accounts. Personal checks are accepted by the Office of the Registrar.

If degree requirements are not fulfilled by the graduation date requested on the front of this form, subsequent forms my be submitted with payment each time a candidate chooses to come up for consideration, within a period not to exceed three years. Original degree applications will be retained in the Office of the Registrar for a three year period.

Teacher Certification

Candidates graduating from an approved teacher preparation program leading toward NYSED certification recommendation must complete an Institutional Recommendation Data Form (IRDF) available in the OTE/SSS, Russell Hall 400.  The IRDF can be downloaded from the OTE/SSS website at:  and must be submitted back to the OTE/SSS RH 400.  Students must apply online using the NYSED-TEACH system (instructions attached to IRDF).  DO NOT submit fee payment with the IRDF nor notarize the IRDF.  Certification fee payment must be made directly to the NYSED.  Once all TC certification requirements are met and Registrar 's graduation clearance is granted, the OTE/SSS certification officer will process the IRDF and input the electronic institutional recommendation through the NYSED-TEACH system.  The NYSED will mail the issued certificate directly to the candidate.

For certification inquiries, students should contact the Office of Teacher Education/School-based Support Services (OTE/SSS) at (212) 678-3502, 3466, 4057 or e-mail

The New York State Education Department (NYSED) website is:  

Formal Master's Essays

Those students completing Formal Master's Essays should refer to the current academic calendar for submission deadlines. Instructions for Preparing the Master's Essay is available in the Office of the Registrar and must be followed. This is generally a requirement for students in Art s Administration program. This satisfies the Integrative Experience and is NOT a departmental project.

Processing and Auditing Applications

Degree applications will begin to be processed and audited after the filing date.  This is a lengthy process as each application is audited individually. Students will be contacted via regular mail if there are any problems. Letters verifying the degree award will be mailed on the degree date to those who have completed all requirements. February and October diplomas may be picked up on the day of conferral after 1 p.m. in the Office of the Registrar; for May diplomascan be picked up in an announced location. Diplomas will be mailed only upon receipt of the address label enclosed within the award letter.


ONLY ONE Commencement Ceremony is held each year in May.  All students who have applied for or earned a degree for that academic year will receive commencement information in mid-March from the Commencement Office. Please make sure your address is updated with our office to receive this important information.