Walking and Jogging Around CampusSkip to content Skip to main navigation
Walking and Jogging Around Campus
- Familiarize yourself with the layout of the campus. Survey the campus while classes are in session and after dark to see that academic buildings, walkways, facilities, and parking lots are adequately secured and well-lighted.
- Plan the safest route to your destination; choose well-lighted, busy pathways and streets. Avoid walking through area parks at night when you are by yourself.
- Share your class schedule with your parents and trusted friends and give them your telephone numbers.
- At night, stick to well-lighted areas whenever possible and avoid alleyways or “short cuts” through isolated areas.
- Travel in groups and avoid going out alone at night.
- Use the campus escort or shuttle services at night. Know where the emergency call boxes are located on campus and learn how to use them.
- If you are being followed, change direction and go to the nearest business or home; knock on the door, and request that someone call the Police. Note the description of the person following you.
- Walk near the curb and avoid shrubbery or other places of potential concealment.
- Tell a friend or roommate where you are going and what time you expect to return.
- Stay alert to your surroundings and the people around you.
- Carry your purse close to your body and keep a firm grip on it; carry your wallet in an inside coat pocket or your front pant pocket.
- Keep your keys separate from your purse or backpack.
- Don’t overload yourself with bags or packages and avoid wearing shoes that restrict your movements.
- Walk with a confident stride; keep your head up and look around.
- If a motorist stops and asks for directions, keep your distance from the car.
Public Safety Alerts
Emergency Phone Numbers
- Campus phone X3333
Non campus or from cell phone 212-678-3333
Non-emergency College Services
- TC PS Non emergency 3220
- TC PS Administrative Office 3111
- TC Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) 8164/6640
- TC Facilities 3010
- TC Residential services 3235
- TC Student Development and Activities 3690
- TC Risk Management 3482