Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Public Safety
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo
Guides and Tips > Visiting TC Academic and Residential Facilities


Guides and Tips

Visiting TC Academic and Residential Facilities


Academic Buildings and general access 
Access to academic buildings and the Libraries is through the main entrance at the Zankel Building at 525 West 120th Street. A valid Teachers College ID card or a valid ID card from the affiliated institutions of Columbia University, Barnard College, Union Theological or Jewish Theological seminaries must be presented at the Public Safety Desk in the Zankel lobby to gain entry to academic buildings on campus.
Students, faculty or staff from Teachers College or affiliated institutions may also enter academic buildings through the Thorndike Hall driveway entrance on West 120th Street by presenting a valid ID card at the Thorndike Hall driveway Public Safety Booth. The Thorndike Hall driveway entrance is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 A.M. to 9:30 P.M., and on Friday from 7:30 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. The entrance is closed on weekends and holidays.

Teachers College resident students, and affiliated institution students residing at Teachers College, may also enter academic buildings through the West 121st Street door of Grace Dodge Hall from 6:45 A.M. to 1:00 A.M. A valid ID card is required to access this entrance.

College academic buildings, and the dining hall, are generally not open to the public; however non-affiliated visitors may enter the College for specific events that are open to the public or as a guest of a member of the College community. All non-affiliated visitors to campus must enter through the main entrance at the Zankel Building, present a valid government issued photo identification card and sign in at the Public Safety Desk in the Zankel lobby. A one day Visitor Pass shall be provided to visitors
Library Access

Access to the Gottesman Library (Russell Hall) for visitors and guests (Non-Columbia Affiliates) is restricted to persons and family members that are members of Resource Library Partnership ( RLP / New York Metro Doctoral consortium). 

 Attached is a combined list of the NY Region area institutions that are part of the RLP group.  Students who present either a valid RLP card, a valid college ID from one of the institutions listed below or a METRO Group Library card, will be permitted access to the library. 


Bard College and Graduate Center

Columbia University & affiliates

Cornell University

Fordham University

Graduate Center, CUNY / SUNY

Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion

Institute for Advanced Study

New York University (NYU)

The New School/New School for Social Research

Princeton University

Rockefeller University

Rutgers University

Stony Brook University

Syracuse University

Yale University

Yeshiva University

 Visitors can find more information concerning The Gottesman Library access policy by visiting their web site. 

 General visitors (for access to TC Administrative and Academic offices) will follow the general access policy. 


Residential Halls and limited access
Access to closed College facilities by authorized individuals is gained only with assistance from the Office of Public Safety. Faculty members may access their offices at any time. Residential Halls are closed to the public and may be entered or occupied only by authorized residents, their guests, and College employees.
A valid Teachers College ID card is needed for access to campus academic buildings and residence halls at all times. New students may receive a Teachers College ID card once they have registered for classes. Students moving into on-campus housing may receive their ID card on the day they move in.

A valid Teachers College ID card must be presented at an access control reader or to a Public Safety Officer when entering any campus building.

Teachers College community members who do not have their Teachers College ID card in their possession,   must show a valid government ( State  License or ID or Passport) in order to sign in and receive a Visitor's Pass.  

All students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to wear their Teachers College or affiliate institution ID card on their outermost garment when on campus. Visitors are required to wear their Public Safety issued Visitor Pass on their outermost garment while on campus.

For a more information on campus access and visitor restrictions, please refer to the TC Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report (ACSFSR)