What you should do:
- Remain or move indoors.
- Go to the lowest level of the building.
- Stay away from windows.
- If you cannot move indoors, stay in low areas away from power lines, trees and buildings. Cover your head.
- Assist persons with disabilities to safe areas inside of buildings away from windows.
- Follow instructions from authorities.
What you should know:
- Public Safety monitors reports of severe weather from several sources.
- In the event campus conditions deteriorate to unacceptable conditions, Public Safety will notify the Emergency Management Director or Incident Commander.
- The Emergency Management Director in consultation with the Incident Commander, Director of Public Safety and the Teachers College President, will decide on the course of action, whether that be evacuation, closure or delayed opening.
- Conditions that could give rise to Teachers College implementing a severe weather closure include but are not limited to:
- Public Safety receiving storm data from these sources of an area wide "storm warning advisory of no unnecessary travel,"
- NYC Office of Emergency Management advises "emergency travel only"
- You may be advised to Shelter.
- Notifications and updates to students and faculty will be made via Public Address, TC Alert, voicemail and email.