Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Help us improve
Office of Financial Aid
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo

Office of Financial Aid

TC entrance

Important Information

Official communication will be sent to your student G-mail account ( You can set it up by logging into your MyTC Portal.

Our summer hours are currently in effect!
Monday through Thursday -- 9 am to 5 pm
Friday -- 9 am to 3 pm
TC stained glass

Important Dates

Students interested in being considered for scholarship for the upcoming academic year should apply for scholarship via their admissions application. The scholarship application is a lifetime application and only needs to be completed once.

The 2014-2015 FAFSA is currently available at This FAFSA will apply to the Fall 2014 term, the Spring 2015 term, and the Summer 2015 Term. Be sure to use our school code (G03979) on the FAFSA.

General Information > Continuing Students

Site Navigation

General Information

Continuing Students

Continuing students at Teachers College have likely fulfilled many of the necessary requirements needed to continue receiving financial aid at the institution. However, there are some things that all students need to complete prior to the start of every aid year. Please review the following information to ensure that your financial aid will not be delayed.

1. Your scholarship application renews if you have previously completed one.
  • Generally, continuing students do not need to complete a new scholarship application if they have completed one in the past.
  • If you have not completed the TC Scholarship Application, you should contact our office.
  • View our respective pages to learn about institutional and external scholarships.
2. Your Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Notes (MPNs) automatically renew.
  • If you used federal loans in a previous aid year or semester at TC, you do not need to complete entrance counseling again unless you are returning to TC to begin a new program.
  • Your MPNs renew themselves for up to 10 years. The exception to this is if you used an endorser for a prior Graduate PLUS Loan.
3. You must complete a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each new aid year.
  • Unlike the TC Scholarship Application and your loan requirements, the FAFSA does not renew. You will need to complete a new one for each aid year that you wish to receive federal aid.
  • The 2013-2014 FAFSA is currently available, while the 2014-2015 FAFSA will be available on January 1, 2014. Visit to get started.
  • Please ensure that you use TC's Federal School Code (G03979) on your FAFSA. We also encourage you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, if possible.
  • Review your Student Aid Report (SAR), verify that all of your information is correct, and address any errors or issues that you may see.
4. Review your award letter.
  • An award letter may be comprised of scholarships, grants, fellowships, loans, and/or Federal Work-Study. Some students may see more than one form of aid on their letters.
  • We typically begin sending award letters via e-mail in mid-March. Please check your TC G-mail account on a regular basis.
  • Contact our office as soon as possible for questions regarding the information that appears on your award letter.
  • Should you receive another form of aid at a later time, you will receive a revised award letter.
  • Click here for a detailed FAQ page regarding award letters.
5. Accept your aid.
  • Your award letter contains a link to directions on how to accept your aid. Note that scholarships are automatically accepted, while loans and Federal Work-Study have different acceptance processes.
  • If you are set to receive a stipend, it will be automatically accepted and processed on your behalf when class begins.
  • Note that you should accept your loans two to three weeks before class is set to begin.
6. Contact our office for assistance.
  • Our office is open from 9 am to 6 pm Monday through Thursday, and from 9 am to 5 pm on Friday. Please click here to view our contact information. You can also use this page to find your specific financial aid liaison.
  • You must be able to provide your TC ID number (T########) to our staff when contacting our office. Find your ID number by logging into your TC Portal, clicking the TC Services tab, then clicking "My TC ID number" under the Personal Information heading.
Click here to view our comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section! provides in-depth information on federal student aid programs, applying for financial aid, and repaying student loans. Click below to learn more!