Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Help us improve
Office of Financial Aid
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo

Office of Financial Aid

TC entrance

Important Information

Official communication will be sent to your student G-mail account ( You can set it up by logging into your MyTC Portal.

Our summer hours are currently in effect!
Monday through Thursday -- 9 am to 5 pm
Friday -- 9 am to 3 pm
TC stained glass

Important Dates

Students interested in being considered for scholarship for the upcoming academic year should apply for scholarship via their admissions application. The scholarship application is a lifetime application and only needs to be completed once.

The 2014-2015 FAFSA is currently available at This FAFSA will apply to the Fall 2014 term, the Spring 2015 term, and the Summer 2015 Term. Be sure to use our school code (G03979) on the FAFSA.

General Information > International Students

Site Navigation

General Information

International Students

Institutional Scholarships
As an international student, you will be considered for institutional scholarships at Teachers College. While we cannot guarantee that every single student will receive funding, we recommend that you complete a scholarship application alongside your application for admission. This will put you into consideration for several types of scholarships, including the TC International Scholarship. Note that the scholarship application is a part of your admissions application, so you will do both applications at once. Complete your application(s) by the priority deadline, if possible. If you are awarded, you will receive official e-mail correspondence from our office containing details of the scholarship. To begin your application for admission, please visit the Office of Admission website.

External Scholarships
If you do not receive a large amount of funding or if you do not receive any funding, you may need to pursue external scholarships. External scholarships are generally competitive and found through conducting your own independent searches via search engines, websites, and personal/professional contacts. We have also seen international students secure scholarship funding through their home country's government. Note that any external scholarship payment you receive should be sent to the Office of Student Accounts for processing, as it will be considered a third-party payment.

Graduate Assistantships
If you are interested in working on campus as a graduate assistant, you will be able to do so as long as you meet certain eligibility requirements (i.e. be legally eligible to work in the US). Graduate assistantships (whether administrative, teaching, or research) can pay you with one or more of the following: tuition points (up to six per year), a biweekly paycheck, or a stipend. Stipends may be given on a monthly basis, or they may come to you in one lump sum payment for the entire semester/year. Each position is different. We encourage students to browse the TC Human Resources page for employment opportunities. You may also attend graduate assistantship job fairs and/or network with administrators and professors in your academic program to secure assistantships.

Private Loans

Because international students cannot complete the FAFSA and are therefore not eligible for federal financial aid (including federal loans, Federal Work-Study, and the Federal TEACH Grant), those wishing to use loan funding to pay for their expenses will do so via a private loan lender of their own choosing. Teachers College does not have a preferred private loan lender, so we encourage private loan users to conduct thorough research to determine which loan and lender works best for them. Some students choose to use Sallie Mae, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc. to secure international student loans. You will likely need a co-signer who is a US citizen to sign the loan with you. The private loan lender will participate in electronic correspondence with Teachers College to get the loan certified, processed, and disbursed on your behalf.

Additional Information
For additional information on the international student experience at Teachers College and to learn more about how other international students pay for their TC-related expenses, we encourage you to visit the Office of International Student Services website. The Office of International Student Services will be able to provide you with the most up-to-date information regarding international student status and employment eligibility.

You should also browse our website for additional information regarding financial aid, including information related to cost of attendance.