Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Help us improve
Office of Financial Aid
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo

Office of Financial Aid

TC entrance

Important Information

Official communication will be sent to your student G-mail account ( You can set it up by logging into your MyTC Portal.

Our summer hours are currently in effect!
Monday through Thursday -- 9 am to 5 pm
Friday -- 9 am to 3 pm
TC stained glass

Important Dates

Students interested in being considered for scholarship for the upcoming academic year should apply for scholarship via their admissions application. The scholarship application is a lifetime application and only needs to be completed once.

The 2014-2015 FAFSA is currently available at This FAFSA will apply to the Fall 2014 term, the Spring 2015 term, and the Summer 2015 Term. Be sure to use our school code (G03979) on the FAFSA.

General Information > Veteran Benefits

Site Navigation

General Information

Veteran Benefits

In addition to TC's institutional scholarships, there are several opportunities for U.S. military personnel to receive both federal and state financial aid.

Yellow Ribbon Program
Teachers College is pleased to announce its participation in the Department of Veteran Affairs' Yellow Ribbon Program. The scope of benefits provided by the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program will help make obtaining a Teachers College education possible for eligible veterans, regardless of socio-economic status.

click here to see the Teachers College Veteran Benefits website to learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program and how to apply. You are also able to read TC's official announcement of its Yellow Ribbon Program participation here.

Federal Benefits for Members of the Armed Forces
  • Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) Interest Rate Cap Interest on federal student loans obtained prior to your military service is limited to 6% during periods of active duty. The interest rate limitation also applies to any private education loans you may have.
  • Military Service Deferment You can postpone federal student loan repayment during certain periods of active duty, such as during war, other military operation, or national emergency, and immediately following active duty.
  • Public Service Loan Forgiveness You may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of your Direct Loans when you've made 120 qualifying payments after October 1, 2007, while employed in public service, including military service. Click here for more information.
  • Deferments After Active Duty You can postpone repayment while you prepare to return to school following your active duty.
  • 0% Interest While you are serving in a hostile area that qualifies you for special pay, you do not have to pay interest on Direct Loans made on or after October 1, 2008, for up to 60 months.
  • Repayment Based on Income Repayment plans that base your monthly payment on your income are available. Under these plans, you may qualify for a low or zero payment amount with the possibility of forgiveness of the remaining balance in the future. Click here for more information.
  • HEROES Act Waiver While you are on active duty, the Department of Education waives many of the documentation requirements attached to program benefits. For example, if you are on a payment plan based on your income and military service prevents you from providing updated information on your family size and income, you can request to have your monthly payment amount maintained.
  • Department of Defense (DOD) Repayment of Your Loans In certain circumstances, as determined by the DOD, all or a portion of your loans may be repaid by the DOD.
  • Veterans Total and Permanent Disability Discharge If you have a service-connected disability, you may qualify for discharge of your federal student loans.

Helpful Tips for Active Duty/Deployed Servicemen and Servicewomen

  • Know the name of your loan servicer (also known as a lender). Your loan servicer is the company that manages your loans and handles your repayment plan. It will also be the organization to whom you make your payments. Find your servicer's name and contact information on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Be aware that your loan servicer can change from time to time and it is your responsibility to be aware of those changes. If you have not consolidated your loans, it is possible to have more than one servicer if you have borrowed more than one loan.
  • Consider granting power of attorney to an individual you trust to allow them to manage your financial matters, including your student loans. The person to whom you give power of attorney can sign documents and act on your behalf. The legal assistance office on your military base can assist with establishing power of attorney. As an alternative, you can provide you servicer with the name of the person you approve to receive information about your loan(s).
  • Establish an account on your servicer's website, which will allow you to view information about your student loan and make payments online.
  • Provide your servicer with your current contact information, including an e-mail address, to ease communication.
  • Make interest payments, even if you have military deferment available to you. This will keep your balance from increasing and could save you money in the long run.
  • Review your repayment options. Repayment plans based on income may provide a better outcome for federal student loans, as you may qualify for a low payment and loan forgiveness.
  • Sign up for automatic payments to help keep your loan in good standing.
  • Place an active duty alert on your credit report to reduce the risk that you'll become a victim of identity theft.
Resources for Federal Aid
Resources for State Aid
Additional Resources for Military Personnel
Contact Information
Most questions related to Veterans' Benefits certification will be best answered by the
Office of the Registrar. Any issues relating to payments made toward your Teachers College student account will be handled by the Office of Student Accounts. If your question is related to a scholarship that you have received through Teachers College or if you have questions related to your federal aid package, please contact our office.

Some information contained on this page was developed collaboratively by the US Department of Education, FedLoan Servicing, Nelnet, Great Lakes, and Sallie Mae. Teachers College does not endorse one specific loan servicer over another.