About the Program
The Certificate Program in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (TCSOL), co-sponsored by
- the TESOL and Applied Linguistics Programs at Teachers College, Columbia University,
- the Chinese Language Program in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures at Columbia University, and
- Asia for Educators at Columbia University,
provides state-of-the-art training in Chinese pedagogy. Developed and taught by a world-class team of experts, the program offers a cutting-edge curriculum that sets trainees on a fast and efficient track to gain knowledge and skills necessary for operating effectively in current and future classrooms in various contexts.
The program spans 12 week(end)s over one academic year (Fall and Spring semesters) and is ideal for both pre-service teachers and in-service teachers who look to develop or enhance their ability to teach through an accelerated program.
The program particularly welcomes applications from the following groups of people:
- Current students of MA programs in Applied Linguistics, Bilingual Education, Multilingual Education, and TESOL at Teachers College or other institutions both in and outside the U.S.
- Graduates of MA programs in Applied Linguistics, Bilingual Education, Multilingual Education, and TESOL at Teachers College or other institutions both in and outside the U.S.
- College seniors or recent graduates majoring in Chinese studies
- Teachers from China or other Chinese-speaking regions
- Mandarin speakers in the U.S. certified to teach other subjects
- Mandarin speakers in the U.S. not yet certified in any subject
- Professionals considering a career change
- Individuals looking for a professional career
We are currently accepting applications for the 2015-2016 academic year. Space is limited. Click here for information on how to apply. Application deadlines for Fall 2015 - Spring 2016 are :
- International students who do NEED to apply for J-1 Visa to enter the U.S.
- January 31, 2015 (priority deadline)
- May 1, 2015 (final deadline)
- Domestic and international students who do NOT need to apply for Visa
- April 30, 2015 (priority deadline)
- July 1, 2015 (final deadline)
Read more about the program in the Press, in the Newsletter, and on our official FACEBOOK Page.