ProcessThe outline below is intended to provide an overview of the transfer credit process. The length of the process varies depending on numerous factors including whether we have final official transcripts on file from your previous institutions and your availability to meet with your advisor.
1. Student completes the online Transfer Credit Application
2. The Transfer Credit Coordinator determines which courses are eligible for transfer credit.
3. The Transfer Credit Coordinator sends the paperwork to the student's program for a second review. The student will be notified via email when the paperwork has been received by the program.
4. The faculty advisor chooses which of the eligible courses are approved for transfer credit. Faculty advisors evaluate for content, and determine which courses are relevant to the student's program of study at Teachers College. The faculty advisor can award up to the maximum number allowed for the degree type, some, or none of the eligible transfer credits.
5. The faculty advisor returns the paperwork to the Transfer Credit Coordinator in the Office of the Registrar.
6. The Transfer Credit Coordinator emails the student and faculty advisor a copy of the official award letter and chart. The award chart will outline the courses that have transferred and the number of credits awarded for each course. The award chart will not outline course equivalencies. This is an academic decision that should be discussed with your faculty advisor.
Please note: Your transfer credit award chart will be added to your file in the Registrar's Office.