Who can visit the Graduate Writing Center?
- TC students, faculty, and staff from any program or department
- It's possible that you have always thought of yourself as a "pretty good writer," but we believe all writers need trusted readers and deserve quality feedback. Students at any skill level or at any stage in their writing process can drop in or make an appointment.
What would a consultation session do for me?
- Many instructors say that student writing improves after quality feedback. As a writer, you will notice when you visit the Graduate Writing Center, the process of revision is more productive; you may find yourself paying much more attention to your writing, spending more time on your writing, and you may begin to think more confidently of yourself as a writer
What is a consultation like?
- When you walk into the Graduate Writing Center, your writing advisor will want to know about you, what you are working on, and what goals you have for your writing. The session is based on what you tell us you'd like to work on. We don't take your paper and mark errors; typically we read your paper with you and work through the areas you have told us you'd like to pay attention to. Our goal is to help you revise and improve a paper while you get a better sense of yourself as a writer
What do I need to bring with me?
- Bring your questions, ideas, notes, doodles, and assignment guides. Bring a hard copy of your essay. Bring writing at any stage of your process.
- Students have worked with our writing advisors on generating ideas, checking the format of their references, and re-organizing paragraphs. We have seen it all and welcome your work next!