Frequently Asked Questions


New students who have been admitted for the following fall term will receive their award letters beginning in mid-February. Students who have been admitted to programs with a rolling admissions deadline will receive their award letters on a rolling basis. Continuing students will begin receiving aid information toward the end of the spring semester.

The TC scholarship application is integrated into your application for admission. We recommend that students complete the application by the priority deadline established by the Office of Admission. You must answer “Yes” to the question about whether or not you are interested in scholarship and answer the merit-based questions to the best of your ability.

You will be considered for TC General Scholarship, Minority Scholarship, International Student Scholarship, Supplemental Scholarship, and Endowed Scholarship based on program selection and funding availability.

For continuing students, the TC scholarship application will remain active throughout the duration of your studies. If you have completed a scholarship application in the past, you do not need to complete another one for the entire duration of your program at TC.

Please note that there are designated special scholarships with separate application deadlines that require supplemental documents and materials.

No. After you click "Submit," you cannot return to the application. Leaving the questions blank will not make you completely ineligible for scholarship, though your scholarship application may lack additional details that would be important in the awarding process.

If you have submitted an incomplete scholarship application, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at for more information on submitting a paper scholarship form.

Scholarship decisions are made on a yearly basis, so being granted a scholarship in one academic year does not guarantee that you will receive it for the next academic year. Unless you have been informed from the initial receipt of your scholarship that it is a multi-year award, you should not assume that you will receive it again.

For more information on terms and conditions associated with your scholarship award, please visit here.

You may adjust your scholarship award across semesters in a single academic year by using a Scholarship Redistribution Form. Typically, most scholarship funds may be redistributed from one semester to the next with the exception of tuition scholarship support provided contingent on a Research or Teaching Assistantship position.

You can notify our office that you are receiving an outside scholarship. The check itself should be sent to the Office of the Bursar. At times the external organization entity may also be in touch with sending payments to the institution.

In this situation, you should send an e-mail to to discuss your options. You likely will already have a completed scholarship application on record, but you may be required to submit additional documentation to our office to be reconsidered. Note that, however, a reconsideration does not guarantee an award made.

If you are receiving a scholarship and drop a course, your scholarship points that paid for the dropped class will be reversed. You will not be able to enroll in a course, have your scholarship disburse to pay for it, then drop the class and keep the scholarship money. Please visit here for terms and conditions associated with scholarships awarded at Teachers College.

Tuition scholarships at the college are non-refundable unless otherwise stated.

Generally, full funding at TC will entail a student receiving enough scholarship funding to cover all of their tuition expenses for an academic year. In some instances, students may receive stipends to help cover additional expenses. While Teachers College considers each student for scholarship awarding based on the TC scholarship application, we cannot guarantee full funding to any student. We also cannot guarantee that if you were to be fully funded upon your initial term of entry that it would continue throughout the entire duration of your program. At the master’s level, it is unlikely that you will receive full funding.

Scholarships at TC are academic merit based. Your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and all other application materials along with your scholarship application should be outstanding documents that demonstrate your strong capabilities as a student.

An award letter is a document that we provide to students detailing their aid offers (scholarships and/or federal aid) for the year. The letter will provide you with terms and conditions of any scholarships you receive, information about the cost of attendance, and directions on how to accept or decline your offers.

Paper award letters will not be sent. If you are a new student, your award letter will be sent to the e-mail address that you used on your initial application to Teachers College. After you accept your offer of admission, you will be given access to your TC G-mail account. After the TC G-mail account is activated, all official correspondence from our office will be sent there and your person e-mail account will be phased out.


There is no in-state or out-of-state tuition rate. With the exception of a few special cohort programs, every student will pay the same per-credit-hour tuition rate, regardless of degree level. Click here for information on the cost of attendance.

Because financial aid packages are created as early as February for the upcoming academic year, we would not know what your enrollment will be at that time. Therefore, all students are given the standard half-time (6 billable credit hours per semester) budget. We allow you to update this by completing a Repackaging Form if you are a three-quarter time (9-11 billable credit hours per semester) or full-time (12+ billable credit hours per semester) student.

A billable credit hour is a credit hour that you are required to pay for. It would appear as a charge on your student account. A Certificate of Equivalency (COE) is not a billable credit hour because you do not pay for it. To request a COE or to learn more about them, please reach out to the Office of the Registrar and your academic advisor.

Please note that your financial aid cost of attendance will change if you are enrolled in COEs as opposed to billable credit hours and this will impact the dollar amount of financial aid you can receive. You are encouraged to contact our office to discuss your specific situation.

You should contact our office if you intend to drop a class. In some cases, it can make you completely ineligible for aid. In others, we are required to return financial aid that was previously received for the semester on your behalf. We will review at your enrollment record and your aid package to give you a concrete answer.

Students must be enrolled in at least half-time (6 credits or equivalent) to be eligible for federal financial aid.

If the courses you plan to take at Columbia or Barnard are a required part of your academic program and will be charged to your Teachers College student account, then you can use your financial aid to pay for those courses. However, if they are not required by your academic program, you are unable to use your financial aid to cover them. This is especially true for students utilizing federal aid because you are not permitted to receive federal aid at two different institutions at the same time.

No. If you are to receive financial aid of any kind (ie: scholarship or federal aid), we will provie you with an award letter regardless of whether or not you have accepted your admission offer. We will only create award packages for admitted students, so if you have not received an admission offer, no financial aid award will be available for you.

A revised award letter is sent when a change is made to your initial aid package. This may mean that an additional scholarship, federal aid award, or other forms of financial aid offers have been offered to you after an initial award letter notification.

Because the financial aid process is performed on a rolling basis each year, students will receive revisions to their award letters if a new financial aid award is added to their existing record. This will be sent via an e-mail notification.


Newly admitted students will begin receiving award letters in February 2019. You will be notified by e-mail once an award is available for view through your Admitted Student Portal or myTC Portal. Award letters will continue to be sent throughout the spring and summer in anticipation of the upcoming year if any other financial aid award is generated or updated through an institutional/departmental scholarship and/or the FAFSA. Please note, however, that scholarship awards are not guaranteed.

Continuing students will begin receiving award letters toward the end of the spring semester. You will be notified by e-mail once an award is available for view through your myTC Portal. Award letters will continue to be sent throughout the spring and summer in anticipation of the upcoming year if any financial aid award is generated or updated through an institutional/departmental scholarship and/or the FAFSA. Please note, however, that scholarship awards are not guaranteed from one academic year to the next and do not renew unless otherwise noted in the award terms and conditions.

You will only receive a financial aid award letter if you have been offered any form of financial aid at Teachers College. This typically only includes any scholarships, stipends or other fellowship awards becasue international students are not eligible to submit a FAFSA to receive federal financial aid.

Scholarship decisions are rolling and can be made at any time, so an e-mail notification will be sent to you in the event that you do receive a scholarship or an updated scholarship at anytime.


The TC Federal School Code is G03979. While we are affiliated with Columbia University, we operate independently and therefore have our own school code. Any FAFSA that does not have TC's school code included will not be processed by our office.

The Financial Aid Cost of Attendance (COA) budget is a set of estimated expenses that are used by the Office of Financial Aid to determine the amount of aid a student can obtain, taking costs such as tuition, fees, books/supplies, personal/living and transportation expenses into consideration. Students utilizing federal student aid are limited to receive federal aid in combination with other scholarships and aid offers up to the Cost of Attendance budget set forth by the Office of Financial Aid each academic year.

You should keep in mind that the summer term is the last term of each academic year. For example, Summer 2019 is the final term of the 2018-2019 academic year. Students who plan to start in the summer should complete two FAFSAs. If you plan to start at Teachers College in Summer 2019 and continue into Fall 2019, Spring 2020, and/or Summer 2020, you will complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA and the 2019-2020 FAFSA. Remember that each fall term marks the beginning of a new academic year.


If you indicated on the FAFSA that you "will file" taxes and estimated your income for the previous year, the tax filing status update requirement may appear on your requirements screen. This requirement serves as a reminder for you to update your FAFSA when you complete your taxes. Although your federal loan processing will not be canceled or delayed due to this requirement, you may not be eligible for need-based federal aid programs such as Federal Work Study without up-to-date financial information.

You should use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your financial information onto your FAFSA if possible.

For New Students: We recommend for you to complete your FAFSA after you submit your admissions application to TC - this will allow for our office to generate a federal aid award for you after you have been admitted to your program. It can take up to two weeks for us to receive new FAFSA records from the federal database. The same goes for any corrections or updates you make to your FAFSA. Check to make sure that you used the TC Federal School Code (G03979) on the FAFSA. In this case, you should wait about two weeks before contacting us to confirm the receipt of the updated FAFSA record.

For Continuing Students: You may begin submitting your FAFSA for the upcoming year beginning October 1st, but our office will usually start generating your federal aid awards for the upcoming year in March-April. You will receive an official award letter notification beginning in mid-May.

The deadline to submit the 2019-2020 FAFSA is June 30th, 2020.

There is no way to alter the information found on your previous year’s tax returns, so it is not possible to change your EFC. If you believe you have extenuating circumstances, you may come into our office to speak with a counselor. Because there is limited need-based funding for graduate students, a change in the EFC does not usually have an impact on your financial aid.

No. Graduate students are considered independent, regardless of age. You should only put your (and your spouse’s, if married) information on the FAFSA, and are not required to provide parental income and assets information.

Yes. You should make sure that your name on the FAFSA matches what is on the TC system and vice versa. The name reported must always be your legal name. If you do not use your legal name, it can cause mismatches with other government agencies such as the Social Security Administration when your application is being processed. Also, make sure that you enter all of your information carefully and correctly to avoid delays.

If you have missed the June 30th, 2019 deadline to complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA, you may contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss your options for aid. Unfortunately, you will not be eligible to utilize federal aid for the 2018-2019 academic year.


You must be enrolled in at least six credits (or equivalent) per semester in a degree-seeking program. You must not be in default on previous student loans and you must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen. You must also be making satisfactory academic progress. Please visit the Federal Student Aid website for more information.

No. You must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program to be considered for federal aid. To apply for a degree program, contact the Teachers College Office of Admission. Certificate programs (including the coaching certificate) are generally not eligible for federal aid.

You fulfill those requirements at This is the same website you will use to complete the Graduate PLUS Loan request/credit check, if you plan to use that loan. You will need to include the Teachers College Federal School Code (G03979) on these documents. Note that each loan has its own MPN.

No. You do not have to do Loan Entrance Counseling again. Only one entrance counseling session is required for both the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.

If you have a PLUS loan denial, you may be required to complete a PLUS credit counseling if you successfully appeal or obtain an endorser for the loan funding.

No. While we recommend that you complete Financial Awareness Counseling, you are not required to do so. It will not satisfy the Loan Entrance Counseling requirement.


Scholarships and fellowships are automatically accepted for you. Students who plan to attend in Summer 2019 can accept federal loans now, while students attending in 2019-2020 are unable to accept their loans until late July 2019. Federal Work-Study funds cannot be accepted until you find a position via the TC HR page. Graduate assistantships are not usually awarded automatically, but you can browse the TC HR page to see available openings. Detailed directions on how to accept your aid can be found our Accept Your Aid page.

No. You are not required to accept loans if you do not want them. You may submit a Federal Loan Change Form to our office if you want to decline your loans.

You will need to complete a Federal Loan Exit Counseling requirement if:

  • you have borrowed under any of the federal loan programs (Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Nurse Faculty Loan) and are expecting to graduate in a given semester.
  • you drop below half-time (6 credits) of enrollment in a given semester.

The Loan Exit Counseling session will provide you with information about repayment plans and what could happen if you do not repay your loans. If you are a doctoral student who is earning your master’s degree along the way, you will need to complete Exit Counseling when you finish your master’s degree even though you are not leaving TC. The Unsubsidized and PLUS Loan Exit Counselings are available at To complete TEACH Grant Exit Counseling, please visit

Student loans are disbursed accordingly based on your enrollment period. Typically, students who are enrolled across Fall and Spring semesters will receive a loan disbursement after the add/drop period of each term. Typically, your total accepted loan offer is split in equal disbursements across the enrollment period. Students who are entering for the Spring or Summer term may have loan disbursement scheduled accordingly with their term(s) of enrollment.

Students who are single-term students (ie: Fall only) will have two disbursement in a single term, and should update the Office of Financial Aid regarding their enrollment plans with a Repackaging Form.

Student loans will only disburse once you complete your loan acceptance requirements (such as entrance counseling, MPN, and/or Grad PLUS credit check) for the respective loan funding. You must be enrolled for at least half-time (6 credits) or equivalent and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive loan funds in each given semester.

Because every student is given a standard package based on an assumed half-time (billable) enrollment, you may be entitled to additional aid based on your enrollment if you are a three-quarter time student or a full-time student. To update your enrollment with us, complete a Repackaging Form so that we can make the appropriate changes to your Cost of Attendance budget. A repackaging request generally will cause changes in your Cost of Attendance and will make most students eligible for additional Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan funds, with the exception of students who are enrolled in Dissertation Advisement/Defense.

You will first need to update your enrollment with our office with a Repackaging Form. Then, you can submit a Federal Loan Change Form to our office to increase, decrease or decline your federal loan funding. 

Please note that you will first need to maximize your Direct Unsubsidized loan offer before increases on your PLUS funding will be processed. Increases on your PLUS funding will only be processed if you have a valid credit check on file. If your credit check has expired after 180 days (6 months) of the initial application, you will need to renew it at Your endorser (if applicable) must also complete an addendum for the increase requested and a new MPN must be completed.

If your loan disbursement has already occured and you wish to decrease your loan funding, you will need to complete a Return of Loan Funds form at the Office of Financial Aid and meet with a counselor.

Please contact our office if you wish to discuss your loan eligibility.

Yes, there is. You are eligible to request an increase on your student loans up until the last day of classes for any given semester in which you are enrolled in. Loan increase requests must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid before the conclusion of each academic term (Fall, Spring and Summer); loan increase requests submitted after a term has concluded will not be approved. You will be eligible to return your student loans within 120 days post-disbursement. Please visit our office and meet with a counselor should you have the need to return your student loan.

The US Department of Education has made changes to the Federal Perkins Loan program and it is no longer available. If you are graduating and used a Perkins Loan in a prior academic year at Teachers College, all Perkins-related questions should be directed to the Office of the Bursar.

Yes. Although you are not expected to repay loans borrowed at Teachers College until after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment status, we recommend students to make payments toward their interest while still at school.

There are grace periods associated with certain types of loans that you borrow or may have borrowed at TC or another institution, and it's important to contact your loan servicer to see if any documents may be required in order for you to maintain loan deferment status while at the institution. A loan deferment or enrollment verification form can be completed by the Office of the Registrar.

You may log onto the National Student Loan Data System to find the contact information of your servicer.

The private loan process is an independent one. We do not have ties with any specific lenders, so there is not one lender that we recommend over another. We encourage students to do significant research to find which private loan lender works best for them. The lender will submit a certification request to our office through the Electronic Loan Management system. If you need a co-signer on your loan, you should ensure that the co-signer does not have an adverse credit history.

If you wish to inquire about an existing private loan request, please contact our office and indicate the name of the lender, amount borrowed and specify the term in which the loan request will be for.

International students are not eligible for federal financial aid. International students are eligible to be considered for scholarships and assistantships at Teachers College and can also search for and use private scholarships and private loans. Most private loan lenders will ask for a US citizen co-signer. Students may also contact the Office of International Student Services, which may provide additional guidance on ways to secure external scholarships. The Office of International Student Services will also be able to provide additional guidance on becoming eligible for employment in the United States.

You are not required to accept your full federal loan offer if you do not need them. Teachers College offers federal financial aid based on the student's anticipated Cost of Attendance budget, which includes an estimated budget for applicable tuition and fees, personal and living expenses, as well as transportation and books/supplies. Depending on your circumstances, you may not need all of the federal loans offered for the academic year. You may choose to accept the full or partial offer of any federal loans. You may also submit a Federal Loan Change Form to our office if you want to decrease or decline your loans.


A refund check is created when the aid that you accept exceeds the charges on your student account. It creates a surplus that will appear as a negative balance on your TC student account. Typically, you will receive a refund check if you have borrowed more loans than the account charges listed on your student account. You can utilize this refund to pay for any of your related educational expenses, such as rent, books and supplies and others.

The Office of the Bursar (not the Office of Financial Aid) will generate the refund check. We encourage you to sign up for eRefund through your TC Portal, which allows the refund to be deposited into your bank account. The contact information for the Office of the Bursar can be found here.

The Office of the Bursar processes refund checks. The Office of the Bursar will not issue refund checks until after the add/drop period is over for the given semester. We recommend that students have themselves financially established for at least one month after classes begin.

Generally, a negative balance on your student account indicates the amount that you will receive in a refund check. It may also indicate that you have excess scholarship funding that is being paid, and in that case our office will arrange the disbursement schedule of your scholarship funding to ensure that there aren't any excess scholarships disbursed.

That negative number may change to a zero after the Office of the Bursar generates your refund check or eRefund, or when we complete our review of your student financial aid record.

It is up to you on how you would like to use your federal financial aid refund, but typically students will use the refund to cover any educational, personal or living expenses incurred while being a student at TC. Please note that a federal financial aid refund should not be used towards unrelated educational expenses.

If you accepted a loan amount that exceeded your charges and you choose to keep the refund check, you should do so with the knowledge that the money will be accruing interest. If you do not wish to keep the refund, you may return the full or partial amount to the Office of the Bursar, and then come to the Office of Financial Aid to do a Loan Return Form. The Loan Return Form is located in our office. Borrowers have 120 days from the time of disbursement to return money to their loan lender via our office. After 120 days, the borrower will have to contact the lender directly to discuss how to return the money.

You may be eligible for a financial aid book advance during the first two weeks of classes before the add/drop period of the Fall and Spring semester. To be eligible, you must accept a total federal aid offer in excess of your outstanding tuition balance, which will result in a future refund for the Fall and Spring semesters. In addition, you must have all loan acceptance requirements (ie: Entrace Counseling, MPN and/or Loan Application/Credit Check) completed and linked to your financial aid record prior to the first day of classes each semester, and meet all federal aid eligibility (ie: enrollment and SAP) to be eligible. Students who do not receive a book advance will receive their refund after the add/drop period each semester.


Yes. Financial aid is available for summer courses as long as you are enrolled in at least six credit hours during the summer. It does not matter how the six total credit hours are distributed among the Summer A and B terms as long as the total number of credit hours for the whole summer comes to six. You may do all six in A, all six in B, or have them split between the two summer sessions.

Summer aid applications are available in our office and on our website in late-April. You can complete this application and tell us how many credit hours you plan on enrolling during the summer. Visit our office or call us toward the end of the spring semester to discuss your options for summer aid. Most students who take summer courses pay for them with federal student loans. The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is used most often in the summer. If you have remaining Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility, you can use it during the summer.

Disbursements will still occur in two halves as necessary for all federal loans. Students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours before the funds pay out. If you are a Summer A student, your aid will disburse twice in Summer A and your refund will come after the second Summer A disbursement. If you are a Summer B student, your aid will disburse twice in Summer B and your refund will come after the second Summer B disbursement. If you are a Summer A and Summer B student, your aid will disburse once in Summer A and once in Summer B and your refund will come after the Summer B disbursement.


The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides jobs for graduate students with financial need. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your demonstrated financial need (EFC), and the funding level provided to Teachers College. FWS jobs pay $15-$16 per hour and you cannot work more than 20 hours per week during the academic session, or 30 hours per week during breaks. The money you earn is to be used at your discretion for any educational related expenses. You will typically receive up to $9,000 per academic year (not per semester) in FWS funds.

No. When the Federal Work-Study funds appear on your award package, it does not mean that you will receive a FWS disbursement. FWS funds come in the form of hourly earnings, and the amount that you will receive depends on the type of position you are hired for as well as the hours you work. You will not have access to earnings from your FWS funds until you find a Federal Work-Study position and complete all the necessary on-boaring steps. Locating a position is an independent process, and Teacers College does not assist students with FWS placements.

No. You need to find your job through the Teachers College Human Resources page, unless a TC staff member directly offered you a job. There are a few approved off-campus Federal Work-Study sites, but generally speaking, TC students will have to use their Federal Work-Study funds to work at TC and approved off-campus sites.

No. You can work up to 20 hours per week as a Federal Work-Study student. However, there are certain times of the year (summers and between terms) when you can work up to 30 hours per week. Please note that, however, your total earnings cannot exceed the FWS offer on your financial aid package.

Possibly. You would first want to ensure that you have demonstrated your interest by answering “Yes” to the question regarding Federal Work-Study on the FAFSA. Federal Work-Study funds are not guaranteed to every student because the funding is limited, and consideration is also based on demonstrated financial need based on the EFC on your FAFSA submission

If you have not been initially awarded with work study funding and subsequently updated your FAFSA and wish to be considered now, please contact us at and see if you may submit a FWS Waitlist request to be considered/reconsidered.

Please note that consideration/reconsideration for FWS funding does not guarantee a FWS funding offer.

No. Leaving your Federal Work-Study funds in offered status will not affect the disbursement of other aid, nor will it accrue interest since it is not a loan. If you go for a full semester without using your Federal Work-Study funds, we may reduce your offered amount by half. For example, most students are offered $9,000 in Federal Work-Study funds to be used for the entire academic year (fall, spring, and if the student is enrolled, summer). If you do not use your Federal Work-Study funding at all during the fall term, we may reduce your Federal Work-Study eligibility to $4,500 to be used for the spring and/or summer term(s). If you do not use your Federal Work-Study funds, they will simply get cancelled. It will not impact you negatively. You will still be able to apply for Federal Work-Study funds again for the next year with the appropriate FAFSA submission.

The funds will come to you in the form of a bi-weekly paycheck or a direct deposit. Your earned Federal Work-Study money will not automatically pay any charges on your student account, nor will it be used to pay your tuition. The money you earn is yours to use as you see fit for any related educational expenses.

Yes, as long as the total weekly hours worked for all Federal Work-Study jobs combined does not exceed 20 hours, or 30 hours during breaks and summers. Students can hold a maximum of 2 positions under work study.


Most students find their Federal Work-Study positions through the Teachers College Human Resources webpage. You may also find them through networking or through part-time job fairs held on campus.

You will need to visit to Office of Financial Aid to collect your authorization paperwork. All hired students must complete a FWS Agreement as well as Terms and Conditions for every new aid year and for every Federal Work-Study job they hold. New employees (1st job in any capacity at TC) must complete a PageUp onboarding offer and complete the I-9 employment authorization process with the Office of Human Resources. Continuing employees (had a previous job in any capacity at TC) may need to complete rehire PageUp paperwork. Please note that all onboarding steps must be complete prior to your job start date - otherwise, your position will be terminated and your check payments will be delayed.


There are four types of assistantships/fellowships here at TC: Research Assistantship (RA), Teaching Assistantship (TA), Administrative Fellowship (AF) and Doctoral Research Fellowships (DRF). Most administrative assistantships are found through the TC Human Resources page. Most research and teaching assistantships are found through networking and some programs will have program-specific assistantship/internship fairs that will help you secure an assistantship position. Doctoral Research Fellowships are typically appointed positions and may not have an open application process.

All Research/Teaching assistantships will pay a semi-monthly salary, as well as tuition scholarship points (up to nine per year for Fall, Spring and Summer) based on semester(s) of appointment, if the student is eligible. Administrative Fellows may receive Tuition Exemption credits that are administered through the Office of Human Resources.

Yes, as long as the total weekly hours worked for all jobs combined does not exceed 27 hours. You cannot hold another position in such a case.

You are not able to hold two graduate assistantships at the same time.

No. While you will need to be an admitted student to participate in an assistantship, you must apply for assistantships separately.


Grant-in-aid applicants must demonstrate considerable loan indebtedness incurred while at Teachers College and have previously received little or no scholarship assistance from Teachers College, including tuition exemption. Faculty recommendations in support of grant-in-aid applicants are required. The application can be found here.

Yes. However, international students are required to seek approval from the International Student Advisor in addition to any application requirements.

Grant-in-Aid applications are typically reviewed on a monthly basis throughout the academic year, and applicants will be notified of the results by email notification.


Beginning July 2011, federal regulations required all institutions to establish, publish, and apply standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for federal financial aid eligibility. The purpose of establishing, publishing, and applying SAP standards is to ensure that recipients of federal financial aid not only demonstrate financial need but also are making satisfactory progress toward degree completion.

Federal regulations require that Teachers College track the academic progress of all students from the first date of enrollment at Teachers College, whether or not federal aid was received. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for federal aid is evaluated at the end of each term after the grading deadline for all students.

If you do not want federal loans, Federal Work-Study, or federal grants, you are not required to go through the Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal. You may contact the Office of Financial Aid to temporarily waive the requirement. Should you wish to receive federal aid in the future, you may need to submit an appeal.

No. Outstanding Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements do not affect institutional or external scholarships, unless the specified scholarship requires for recipients to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

If you have a warning, your federal aid will not be affected at this time but you have one subsequent semester to rectify the situation. If it is not resolved after the semester is over, your Satisfactory Academic Progress status will be changed to a denial. Students who are denied financial aid because of their Satisfactory Academic Progress status will have to submit an appeal form to our office in an attempt to have their aid reinstated. You may contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

You will need to contact our office - we will provide you with the appeal form and instructions to complete it. Once a decision is available, you will receive appropriate e-mail notifications from our office.

There is a Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals committee that will review your appeal. The committee meets one to two times per month, depending on the volume of appeals. You will receive a decision shortly after the committee meets. Typically, the review process can take up to 2-3 weeks.


We have a comprehensive Satisfactory Academic Progress page that will cover the details for both master’s and doctoral level students.

No. A SAP warning or denial flag is issued to the student as a means to communicate the academic progress related to federal financial aid eligibility. A warning or denial flag that is issued will not appear on the official academic transcript.

Yes. You may still enroll in classes at Teachers College if you have been flagged for SAP. However, you will not be eligible for federal financial aid, which means that you will need to submit an appeal, or secure other sources of funding to clear any outstanding student account balances.

If you are denied for federal financial aid and choose not to submit an appeal/pay any outstanding balances in full, you may be charged for late payment penalties by the Bursar's Office.

There are multiple ways to regain your federal financial aid eligibility as a result of not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements:

  1. You may choose to contact our office to submit an appeal to document any extenuating circumstances. The appeal will be reviewed by the committee and you will be notified of the results.
  2. In some cases, you may choose to enroll in classes at Teachers College and pay out-of-pocket for any oustanding account balances, then meet SAP standards by the next official evaluation. Students who do not meet the Maximum Time to Completion or Over Maximum Credit Allowance standard(s) cannot regain eligibility this way.

If you do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in a given term (ie: Fall), but regain your federal financial aid eligibility in a subsequent term without an appeal after an official evaluation takes place (ie: Spring), you would be eligible for federal financial aid for that subsequent term (ie: Spring), as well as terms moving forward as long as you maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. However, you would not be eligible for federal financial aid in the retroactive term (ie: Fall).


Because different programs at TC have different degree requirements, the total cost of your program will largely depend on credits required for graduation, length of your academic program, as well as other variable costs and expenses you accrue as a student at TC.

View our Tuition and Fees page for cost of attendance and to see the tuition and fees associated with attending TC. If you are in a special cohort program, you may have special tuition rates. You may contact your Financial Aid liaison or our office at should you have any questions regarding special cohort programs.

A financial aid package consists of any aid you are offered here at Teachers College. It may include scholarships, grants, loans, or assistantships, depending on what you have applied for and what you are eligible for.

Teachers College does not have uniform financial aid packages that go to every student who is granted admission to the school. This is true in terms of both scholarship and federal aid. Because every program and every student is different, we cannot provide an exact picture of your financial aid package before you are admitted to the institution.

Yes. Our office is only authorized to administer financial aid awards for students enrolled in at least 1 credit (or credit equivalent).

Depending on the type of award a student is given, eligibility based on enrollment for those funds will vary. Federal student aid awards require at least 6 credits or equivalent, while stipends require at least 1 credit or equivalent of enrollment to disburse. Most scholarships will disburse according to your enrollment and registration, with the exception of any refundable scholarship awards. All awards, with the exception of private loans, will require students to be enrolled in a degree seeking program.

We do accept walk-in visits. However, if you would like to meet with a specific counselor, you should contact us ahead of time to verify the counselor availability to schedule an appointment.

No. We cannot disburse aid from the next aid year to cover your balance for the current aid year. We recommend that you routinely check your student account on your TC Portal and thoroughly review all correspondence that comes from our office. Doing so will help keep you up to date on important dates, deadlines, processes, and changes.

Your TC ID number is assigned to you when you apply for admission to the College. It is also on any official correspondence you receive from campus offices. It can also be located through your TC Portal. When you are logged into your TC Portal, click the TC Services tab. You will see a heading entitled “Personal Information.” Under that heading is a link called “My TC ID Number.” This screen will display your TC ID Number. It is a quick, safe, and easy way to look up your information in our systems. Have your TC ID number ready when you contact our office.


No. You must contact the Office of Academic Computing. Their contact information can be found here.

We are mandated by the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to maintain student record confidentiality. We can only discuss the specifics of your financial aid account with you. However, if you would like to authorize other individuals to have access to your financial aid account details, you can submit a signed FERPA Form to our office letting us know the name(s) of the authorized person(s) and how they are related to you. This form is for our office only. Other campus offices may have their own required processes/forms needed to release your information to third parties. Contact our office to get a copy of our FERPA Form.

Sign Up to Receive More Information

Sign Up to Receive More Information

Sign up to receive more information about Teachers College & receive:

  • Information Session Invitations
  • Academic Program Updates
  • Scholarship Information
  • And More