Bilingual/Bicultural Childhood Education MA Transitional B

Master of Arts - Transitional B, Peace Corps Fellows

This Master of Arts degree leads to Initial Certification in Childhood (1-6) and the Bilingual Extension. This program of study is only available to students in the TC Peace Corps Fellows program. Students begin in the summer with the Peace Corps Fellows Program intensive, and consult with their advisor on what summer courses to take.

Master of Arts

  • Major Code: BILC-TRAN
  • Points/Credits: 33
  • Entry Terms: Summer Only


  • NY State Transitional B Childhood Education 1-6
  • Bilingual Education
  • Optional Middle School Certification 7-9

Application Deadlines

  • Spring: N/A
  • Summer/Fall (Priority): January 15
  • Summer/Fall (Final): January 15

Supplemental Application Requirements/Comments

  • GRE General Test
  • Supplemental applications required (included in online application)

Additional Notes:

Major Codes - Be sure to put the correct one on your application.

The major code for Master of Arts - Transitional B, Peace Corps is MA-BILC-TR.

Fluency in English and a Language Other than English (LOTE) are required for the Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education, as well as for the courses of study leading to NY State certification in Bilingual Education.

Students whose first language is English must provide proof of proficiency in a LOTE. During the admissions process, some students may be selected for further language testing by the Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education. This testing is free to applicants, and is meant to verify written and oral language skills. Students must also submit a supplemental essay in their LOTE.

International students must submit TOEFL scores UNLESS they have received an Undergraduate degree (not Masters or Doctoral) from a school at which English is the primary language of instruction. The minimum TOEFL exam score required by Teachers College is 100 on the internet-based exam (IBT). Applicants may obtain further information on TOEFL at or from their local overseas educational advising center. IELTS scores may be accepted in lieu of the TOEFL. The minimum IELTS overall band score is 7.0. Score reports must be officially submitted by the testing center. Current and former TC students do not need to submit new scores unless requested by the program to do so.

For information on the interpretation of TOEFL scores, please go to the ETS website.
For information on the interpretation of IELTS scores, please go to the IELTS website.

Students seeking New York State Teacher Certification must also satisfy the Liberal Arts & Sciences Certification Requirements - this consists of undergraduate coursework in four basic content areas. Your undergraduate transcript will be evaluated during the admissions process, and you will be notified if you are deficient in one or more areas. For more information, see the Liberal Arts & Sciences Requirement page under Resources on the BBE website.

Master of Arts

All courses of study require three core foundational courses and a bilingual inquiry course. M.A. programs require an integrative project. The teaching strands with Bilingual/Bicultural Studies and the courses of study programs leading to NY State certification require a practicum or student teaching experience. Students are strongly urged to consult with an academic advisor on all degree requirements.

Foundation and Inquiry Courses:

  • A&HB 4021 Foundations of bilingual/bicultural education (3)
  • A&HB 4024 Linguistic foundations of bilingual/bicultural education (3)
  • A&HB 4075 Cross-cultural communication and classroom ecology (3)
  • A&HB 4150 Teacher/educational inquiry: Bilingual/bicultural education (1-3)

Each student will choose courses with advisor assistance. The following shows a sample of recommended courses for potential concentrations.

MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Education (Academic track, not leading to certification)

Concentration on Research - Choose among the following courses:           

  • ITSF 4015 Introduction to computers, language, and literacy           
  • ITSF 4060 Latinos in urban schools           
  • ITSF 5016 Ethnography of education            
  • A&HL 4003 Schools of linguistic analysis
  • A&HL 4104 Discourse analysis
  • A&HL 4106 Text and textuality
  • A&HL 5008 Interlanguage analysis
  • EDPS 5020 Methods of social research
  • EDPS 5022 Sociological analysis of educational systems
  • C&T 5000 Theory and inquiry in curriculum and teaching
  • HBSK 5085 Observing and assessing preschool children

Concentration on Policy - Choose among the following courses:

  • ITSF 4025 Languages, society, and schools            
  • A&HB 5024 Bilingual/multilingual education: International perspectives            
  • A&HB 4199 Topics in bilingualism and bilingual/bicultural education
  • EDPS 4000 Education and public policy
  • EDPP 5042 Urban politics and education
  • EDPP 5045 Race, ethnicity, and U.S. educational policy
  • Policy courses in Curriculum and Teaching

MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Education (leading to NYS Teacher Certification)

Concentration on Teaching - Choose among courses that are required for programs leading to certification.

Courses of study leading to certification require the following:

  • A&HB 4020 Bilingualism and disabilities (1)
  • A&HB 4028 Teaching literacy in bilingual settings (3)
  • A&HB 4121 Bilingual/bicultural curriculum design in elementary and middle schools (3)
  • A&HB 4133 Curriculum and methods for bilingual teachers: Science (2-3)
  • A&HB 4134 Curriculum and methods for bilingual teachers: Mathematics (2-3)
  • A&HL 4076 TESOL methodologies for PK-6 (3)

The Master of Arts - Dual program leading to Initial Certification in Childhood Education and the Bilingual Extension Certification has two options:

Stream A (for students with less than 1 year of full-time teaching experience as a head teacher) requires one full year of student teaching with the accompanying courses (a total of 17 additional credits), for a minimum of 40 credits for the degree.

Stream B (for students with at least 1 year of full-time teaching experience as a head teacher) requires a half-year of student teaching (7 credits) for a minimum of 33 credits for the degree.

The Master of Arts - Transitional B program requires a practicum course in conjunction with full-time teaching, or a student teaching experience if the student does not have his/her own classroom, for a minimum of 33 credits for the degree.

The Master of Arts - Bilingual Extension leads to the Bilingual Extension Certification, requires a half-year of student teaching or a practicum (depending on whether the student has his/her own classroom), for a minimum of 33 credits for the degree.


Students who are not pursuing an M.A. in Bilingual/Bicultural Education and who either hold teacher certification in another area or are simultaneously pursuing teacher certification in another area can choose the 15-credit Advanced Certificate. The course of study includes the foundation courses and at least 3 points from any of the following courses:

  • A&HB 4121 Bilingual/bicultural curriculum design in elementary and middle schools
  • A&HB 4133 Curriculum and methods for bilingual teachers: Science
  • A&HB 4134 Curriculum and methods for bilingual teachers: Mathematics
  • A&HB 4028 Teaching literacy in bilingual settings
  • A&HB 4323/4720 Practicum/Student teaching in bilingual/bicultural education

New York State Education Department (NYSED) has teacher certification requirements that are needed for program completion and graduation which are listed in the Office of Teacher Education section of the catalog.

Additional Notes:

  • Leading to the Bilingual Extension Certification (with institutional recommendation) and Professional certification (via NYSED individual certificate progression) in the area in which student is already certified by NYSED.
  • Optional Middle Childhood Extension Certification (5-9)
  • For students who already hold NYSED teaching certification in another area.
  • Listed are the requirements for completion of degree. Electives may be taken. Consult with advisor for courses that are highly recommended.
  • If you already have your own classroom, take the Practicum for 3 credits. If you need a classroom placement, you must take the Practicum for 4 credits.

Required Courses:

Summer I - Introductory Component

  • C&T xxx Literacy Instruction (3 points)
  • choose an out-of-program elective (2-3 points)
  • All other non-credit workshops offered by the Peace Corps Fellows Program (0 points)
  • A&HB xxx Summer Course offering - Varies from year to year (1-3 points)

Fall I - Childhood, Culture, Language and Education

  • A&HB 4021 Foundations of Bilingual/Bicultural Education (3 points)
  • A&HB 4121 Bilingual/Bicultural Curriculum Design: Social Studies (3 points)
  • A&HB 4801-04 Language Workshops in Bilingual Education (1 point)

Spring I - Curriculum for Teaching Bilingual/Bicultural Children

  • A&HB 4024 Linguistic Foundations of Bilingual/Bicultural Education (3 points)
  • A&HB 4028 Teaching Literacy in Bilingual Settings (3 points)
  • A&HB 4133 Curriculum & Methods for Bilingual Ed: Science (1-3 points)
  • A&HB 4134 Curriculum & Methods for Bilingual Ed: Math (1-3 points)

Fall II - Teaching Children

  • A&HB 4150 Teacher Inquiry: Bilingual Education (1-3 points)
  • A&HB 4323 Practicum in Bilingual Education (3-4 points)
  • A&HL 4076 or equiv TESOL Methodologies for K-6 (3 points)

Spring II - Teaching Bilingual Children

  • A&HB 4020 Foundations of Bilingual Special Education (3 points)
  • A&HB 4075 Cross-Cultural Communication & Classroom Ecology (3 points)

Additional Requirement for NY State Certification

  • HUDK 4022 Developmental Psychology: Childhood (3 points)
Back to skip to quick links