TCSOL One-year Certificate Program | TCSOL Certificate The Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other LanguagesSkip to content Skip to main navigation
TCSOL One-year Certificate Program
[On-site-New York] | [Off-site-Online]
>> CIFLTE now offers two options of the TCSOL one-year program - an on-site program in New York and a new online program comprising online and face-to-face instruction.
>> Tuition/fees and application requirements apply to both options.
The New York Program
- Target Audience: Aspiring pre-service and in-service teachers who can travel to and study in New York for one year.
- Key Features: In-person intensive instruction; Hands-on teaching opportunities at Columbia University and online; Academic resources at Teachers College and Columbia University (access to libraries, academic events, and cultural activities).
- Duration: September to May
The Online Program
- Target Audience: Aspiring pre-service and in-service teachers not being able to travel to and study in New York for one year.
- Key Features: Rigorous and unparalleled design to best promote attendees' development; Asynchronous to provide maximal flexibility allowing self-paced study; Primary online activities include mostly reading and online discussions; Participation from home country/city and relocation to New York is not needed.
- Duration: September to May (online) + 2 weeks (in Beijing/Osaka) in July/August
The Certificate Program in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (TCSOL), co-sponsored by
the Center for International Foreign Language Teacher Education (CIFLTE) at Teachers College, Columbia University,
the Chinese Language Program in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures at Columbia University, and
Weatherhead East Asian Institute at Columbia University,
provides state-of-the-art training in Chinese pedagogy. Developed and taught by a world-class team of experts, the program offers a cutting-edge curriculum that sets trainees on a fast and efficient track to gain the knowledge and skills necessary for operating effectively in current and future classrooms in various contexts.
The program spans 12 week(end)s over one academic year (Fall and Spring semesters) and is ideal for both pre-service teachers and in-service teachers who look to develop or enhance their ability to teach through an accelerated program.
The program particularly welcomes applications from the following groups of people:
Current students of MA programs in Applied Linguistics, Bilingual Education, Multilingual Education, and TESOL at Teachers College or other institutions both in and outside the U.S.
Graduates of MA programs in Applied Linguistics, Bilingual Education, Multilingual Education, and TESOL at Teachers College or other institutions both in and outside the U.S.
College seniors or recent graduates majoring in Chinese studies
Teachers from China or other Chinese-speaking regions
Mandarin speakers in the U.S. certified to teach other subjects
Mandarin speakers in the U.S. not yet certified in any subject
Professionals considering a career change
Individuals looking for a professional career
Hear what current students say about their experience: 2019 TCSOL Student Interview