Workshops | TESOL Certificate Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages CertificationSkip to content Skip to main navigation
TESOL Certificate Program
Teachers College, Columbia University
Optional weekend workshops on TESOL topics are included as part of the tuition for TESOL Certificate Program students. Some of these workshops are also open to the public. For members of the public, the cost of a workshop is $150. For TCP alumni, the cost of a workshop is $80. We encourage prospective students to consider attending one of our upcoming workshops to learn new skills and gain exposure to the TESOL Certificate Program.
2019-2020 Workshops (open to the public)
- October 26, 2019, 10am-3pm: Teaching Pronunciation
- The purpose of this workshop is to review teachable aspects of pronunciation beyond the sound level, describe the methodology of integrating pronunciation in the language classroom, and exemplify it through effective types of activities and resources. Participants will have the opportunity to design and evaluate integrated pronunciation materials.
- November 9, 2019, 10am-3pm: Integrating Vocabulary in English Language Instruction
- This workshop will focus on methodological aspects of teaching vocabulary in integrated English language instruction. First, the process of vocabulary item selection and what it involves will be described step by step. Then, aspects of word knowledge that relate to form, meaning, and use, and how they can be incorporated in English language teaching will be discussed. Hands-on experience on vocabulary selection and teaching will be provided.
- December 7, 2019, 10am-3pm: Teaching English to Low Beginners
- Without sharing the same first language with the students, teaching ESL to absolute or low beginners from different language backgrounds can be very challenging. This workshop focuses on approaches suitable for teaching ESL to adults with beginning level proficiency. Topics include course design, adapting/developing materials, and teaching strategies.
- February 16, 2020, 10am-3pm: Teaching with Authentic Materials
- Language teachers often incorporate authentic written, audiovisual, and digital materials to make their lessons more engaging. However, how can you choose the right authentic materials appropriate for different instructional contexts with respect to students’ proficiency level, learning objectives, and even the course curriculum at a broader level? This interactive workshop covers useful strategies for selecting and adapting authentic materials to make them relevant and appropriate. Participants will have the opportunity to evaluate and modify some sample materials.
- March 15, 2020, 10am-3pm: Teaching with Technology
- The purpose of this workshop is to promote thoughtful integration of digital tools, Apps, and content to (a) meaningfully engage and facilitate English language learners, and (b) support instructional objectives. Various Social Media and Web 2.0 tools, both synchronous and asynchronous, will be explored with particular focus on digital storytelling and online collaboration tools (e.g., Google Apps). Participants will design and evaluate technology-integrated and computer-mediated materials for their target student populations.
Click here to register and pay the workshop fee