Workshops | TESOL Certificate Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages CertificationSkip to content Skip to main navigation
TESOL Certificate Program
Teachers College, Columbia University
Optional weekend workshops on TESOL topics are included as part of the tuition for TESOL Certificate Program students. Some of these workshops are also open to the public. We encourage prospective students to consider attending one of our upcoming workshops to learn new skills and gain exposure to the TESOL Certificate Program.
Summer 2019 Workshops (open to the public)
- July 13, 11am-4pm: Teaching Business English
This workshop takes a look into the world of teaching Business English and it explores what makes Business English different from General English courses. Special attention will be given to developing a needs assessment and reviewing appropriate teaching materials. We also look at specific profiles of Business English students and company groups, and we consider how to move forward and what to focus on with these learners in these ESL/EFL contexts.
- July 20, 10am-3pm: Teaching English to Low Beginners
- Without sharing the same first language with the students, teaching ESL to absolute or low beginners from different language backgrounds can be very challenging. This workshop focuses on approaches suitable for teaching ESL to adults with beginning level proficiency. Topics include course design, adapting/developing materials, and teaching strategies.
All workshops will take place on-campus at Teachers College. Workshop topics vary each semester, so we encourage you to check this page regularly. Past workshops have included:
- Teaching Pronunciation
- Teaching Vocabulary
- Adapting Curriculum and Materials
- Teaching ESL to Students with Limited L1 Literacy
- Teaching Business English
- Phonetics and Phonology for ESL Teachers
- Preparing Students for Standardized Tests like the TOEFL
- Teaching English to Children
- Technology in the ESL Classroom