Workshops | TESOL Certificate Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages CertificationSkip to content Skip to main navigation
TESOL Certificate Program
Teachers College, Columbia University
Optional weekend workshops on TESOL topics are included as part of the tuition for TESOL Certificate Program students. Some of these workshops are also open to the public. We encourage prospective students to consider attending one of our upcoming workshops to learn new skills and gain exposure to the TESOL Certificate Program.
Upcoming Workshops Open to the Public
- July 21, 2018, 10am-3pm: Adapting Curriculum and Materials to Learner Needs
- This workshop addresses how the curriculum can be adapted to meet the diverse needs of learners. We will explore the subtle ways in which set curriculum activities can be altered to fit varying teaching and learning styles. Specifically, the workshop will focus on bolstering implementation of the curriculum by drawing in supplemental activities and group work protocols.
- August 4, 2018, 10am-3pm: Teaching English to Low Beginners
- Without sharing the same first language with the students, teaching ESL to absolute or low beginners from different language backgrounds can be very challenging. This workshop focuses on approaches suitable for teaching ESL to adults with beginning level proficiency. Topics include course design, adapting/developing materials, and teaching strategies.
To sign up and pay for a workshop, click here.
All workshops will take place on-campus at Teachers College. Upon successful completion of the program, participants are granted 0.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Workshop topics vary each semester, so we encourage you to check this page regularly. Past workshops have included:
- Teaching Pronunciation
- Teaching Vocabulary
- Adapting Curriculum and Materials
- Teaching ESL to Students with Limited L1 Literacy
- Teaching Business English
- TESOL Career Planning
- Phonetics and Phonology for ESL Teachers
- Preparing Students for Standardized Tests like the TOEFL
- Teaching English to Children
- Technology in the ESL Classroom