Personnel Action Form

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo

Budget and Planning

The Office of

Personnel Action Form

PAF Overview

The Personnel Action Form (PAF) is to be used to:

  • Request a new or continuing appointment
  • Request a change in future labor distribution (For past labor changes, the Labor Redistribution form is used)
  • Request a one-time payment for a TC employee

This Form is not to be used to:

  • Request changes to where an employee was charged in prior pay periods (their salary distribution). The Revision of Labor Distribution Form should be used for this purpose.

PAF Process Flow

PAF Process Flow

Salary Changes

If an academic department needs to change an existing position's salary upwards -- after first receiving approval from Human Resources -- the funding for the salary increase and related fringe may be established through one of the following methods:

a. A transfer of funds from another budget line within the unit, which will result in the permanent reduction of that budget line; or

b. A request for funding to that unit's Vice President to be approved and forwarded to the Office of Budget and Planning

For any other additional payments to a current employee, check Banner for sufficient budget in the appropriate index and account. All payments should be charged to the employee's primary account code and approved by the department head.

If there is not sufficient budget, a Budget Change Request Form is required to be submitted at the same time as the PAF.

The College funds annual salary increases for faculty and full-time professional staff whose salaries are charged to the operating budget. Part-time positions are not eligible for the annual salary increase.

For all FT Professional salary increases and new hires charged to operating indices, the College will provide the funding for up to the Mid-Point range that is determined by Human Resources. If the increase is above the Mid-Point, the Department will have to provide funding for the salary and fringe by submitting a budget transfer to the Office of Budget and Planning.

TC employees and students are not permitted to receive honoraria payments. Only non-employees can receive honoraria and must be processed as a check request from account 7622.

PAF Deadlines

Please contact your HR representative or the Office of Budget & Planning for PAF deadlines.