Giving from the UK

Teachers College can accept charitable gifts from alums and friends in the U.K. The Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) serves as the mechanism for giving. The only requirement is that you must be a tax payer in the U.K. and/or the U.K. and U.S.—and your yearly earnings must exceed the U.S. foreign-earned income threshold, currently at $80,000.

The CAF American Donor Fund makes sense for you if you are:

  • a dual taxpayer, paying tax in both the U.K. and U.S.
  • a U.K. citizen making a gift to a U.S. charity
  • a U.S. citizen living in the U.K. paying U.K. taxes

Schedule – Payment is usually made to the U.S. charity within 6 to 8 weeks after the initial gift. This timing is used to recover the Gift Aid portion of the donation to ensure a consolidated payment.

Acknowledgement – In addition to receiving an acknowledgment from Teachers College, the U.K. donor receives a U.K. tax receipt from CAF for the gift.

Processing Fee – CAF charges a £50 minimum for gifts under £1,000. From £1,000 up, the fee is 5% on the first £15,000, 1% on the next £60,000 and 0% over £75,000. These fees are automatically deducted from the donor gift.

Eligible Assets – The only assets eligible for a gift through CAF are cash or appreciated securities. Please note that the Gift Aid tax option is not available for gifts of stock.