Student Travel

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo
Controller: Office of Risk Management

Office of Risk Management

Office of the Controller

International Travel

Student Travel

1. Trip Notification - All students who travel internationally relating to their graduate work must provide notice to the Office of Risk Management at least 60 days in advance of the trip. The College does not cover international student-led group trips.

2. Required Forms - Students participating in overseas internships or projects must complete and submit the following forms: 

3. Group Study Tour/Travel led by Teachers College faculty – Faculty leading group study tours or other overseas group trips must obtain the following from all students and from any individual hired to assist with or otherwise participating in the travel:

  • Emergency Contact and Medical Information Form
  • Release and Authorization Form
  • Tour participation List
  • Itinerary Form

4. Medical and Evacuation Cards - Once the Office of Risk Management receives all the forms from the student and/or tour directors, medical and evacuation cards will be issued. The cards will provide access to medical coverage (limited to $5,000), travel assistance, and evacuation in case of an emergency. The cards must be carried at all times while traveling abroad. This coverage will only apply as a secondary coverage to the student’s primary medical and evacuation coverage.

5. Additional Medical and Evacuation Coverage – College provided medical coverage for students is limited to $5,000 and therefore students should verify that they will be covered (including medical evacuation) by their medical provider while traveling overseas. If you require additional medical or evacuation coverage, listed below are some suggested companies: