College OmbudsSkip to content Skip to main navigation
Stephen Peverly, Ph.D.
Room 280 Grace Dodge Hall
Office Hours: The College Ombuds is available throughout the week by appointment.
An independent office for a confidential discussion of matters of concern
The College Ombuds is a resource available to students, faculty and staff for resolving problems and conflicts. Members of the College community can use the services of the Ombuds Office when they need assistance or advice, or after other efforts have not succeeded.
Office provides information and explains options for resolving a wide range of problems and rectifying many situations affecting the academic or work life of members of the College community. The Ombuds responds to all concerns and continually works for a satisfactory outcome for all parties involved in a situation.
The work of the Office is confidential, impartial, independent, and informal.
Discussions with the Ombuds are confidential as permitted by law, except in matters of actual or imminent physical or mental risk. In such matters the Ombuds considers the interests and safety of the involved parties in maintaining confidentiality.
The Office of the Ombuds does not maintain records of specific complaints or problems.
The Ombuds is an advocate for the fair solution of a problem, not for any particular party, and gives equal attention to the rights of all concerned. Moreover, the Office of the Ombuds does not have any decision-making authority in the solution.
The Office is independent of any organizational unit or group in the College.
The use of the Office of the Ombuds is not a substitute for taking formal action, such as filing a grievance. The Ombuds also does not participate in any formal grievance procedures. If anyone wishes to officially and formally notify the College about a problem or situation, the Office can provide information about how to do so.
Links To Other Student Services
- Office of Access and Services for Individuals with Disabilities
- Office of the Provost and Dean of the College
- Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Community Affairs
- All Gender Restroom Facilities
- Religious Holiday Schedule
- CAMPUS LIFE DURING COVID-19
- Legal Resources for International and Undocumented Students
- Psychological Resources for Individuals with Immigration & Deportation Concerns
- Lactation Room
- Meditation Room
- LGBTQA Concerns - CU SpeakOUT
- Useful Links
- TC General Info
- Columbia University Office of Religious Life
- College Ombuds
- MTA and Public Transportation
- All-Gender Restrooms And Lactation Rooms
- African Diaspora International Film Festival