Gender-Based Misconduct Reporting Requirements

Skip to content Skip to main navigation

The Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Community Affairs

FAQ for Faculty/Staff - Gender-Based Misconduct Reporting Requirements

Teachers College faculty and staff, including graduate students with assistantships have an obligation under federal law and College policy to report gender-based misconduct experienced by students immediately. This FAQ explains what you must do.  

What should I say to a student who starts talking with me about an incident of gender-based misconduct

  1. If a student is in immediate danger, call the Teachers College Public Safety Department at (212) 678-3333 or the CU Medical Center at (212) 305-7979, or the New York City Police Department at 911.  In most instances, Public Safety can help arrange for a specially-trained officer to come to campus. 
  3. Let the student know right away -- before they disclose any information to you, if possible -- that you have an obligation to report the incident to TC's Title IX Coordinator.  This enables students to choose whether to share information with you or to seek out a fully confidential resource (listed below).  Some students are comfortable with reporting; others are not.  When you explain your reporting responsibility, please reassure the student that student privacy and safety are of utmost importance.  Nothing in the reporting process allows their personally identifying information to be shared broadly or publicly.  The information is shared only to ensure that the College can provide the student with resources and to determine whether additional steps are necessary to protect the College community.
  5. Share these CONFIDENTIAL resources, as appropriate.  These are for students who are in crisis and in need of immediate professional support and for students who just want to know where else to turn.  These are allconfidential, meaning that the resources listed here do not have a reporting obligation and will not share any identifiable information about the student with others.
    1. Sexual Violence Response/Rape Crisis and Anti-Violence Support Center, which has both professional and peer counselors available in person, and available 24/7/365 at (212) 854-HELP [(212) 854-4357].  
    2. Counseling and psychological services: (212) 854-2878.
    3. Medical services: Columbia Health (212) 854-9797.
    4. Office of the University Chaplain (212) 854-1493.
    5. The Ombuds Office (atTC) (212) 678-4169.

Additional resources can be found here.  You can also give the student contact information for the Gender-Based Misconduct Office, which is a non-confidential resource.

If a student tells me they have experienced gender-based misconduct, how do I submit a report?

You can:

  1. Contact the TC Title IX Coordinator, Janice Robinson or (212) 678-3732 or Katie Embree, Associate Provost at or (212) 678-3991;
  2. Use the Gender-Based Sexual Misconduct Report Form, call the Gender-Based Misconduct Office at (212) 854-1717, or email the Office at  This will reach the Columbia University Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Student Concerns and will fulfill your reporting responsibility. 


What will I need to include in my report?

You will need to include any information you have, including the name(s) of the student(s) or others involved in any incidents and information about the incidents.  If you don't know students' names but have information about an incident, you must also report what you know.  Likewise, if you have names but no detailed information about an incident, you must report that as well. 

What kinds of gender-based misconduct trigger my reporting obligation?

There are ten types of gender-based misconduct that violate our policy and require a report if you hear about them.  They are: 1) non-consensual sexual intercourse; 2) non-consensual sexual contact; 3) domestic violence; 4) dating violence; 5) sexual exploitation; 6) stalking; 7) sexual harassment; 8) gender-based harassment; 9) intimidation that reasonably leads the student to fear for their physical well-being or to engage in sexual conduct for self-protection; and 10) retaliation for participating in any way in the gender-based misconduct disciplinary process, including reporting an incident of any type.  Click here for detailed definitions.

You don't need to be concerned with whether there is enough information to report or whether an incident fits the policy definition.   When you report the information you have learned, even if it seems minor, the Title IX Coordinator or Gender-Based Misconduct Office will determine the appropriate next steps.

Do I need to report if:  a) I hear about an incident from someone else; b) the student does not know the name of the person who committed an offense; c) the offender is not a student or not affiliated with Columbia; or d) the incident took place away from campus or when school was not in session?

Yes.  Teachers College and Columbia University seek to ensure that our students have access to the appropriate resources and that our community is safe.

What happens when I file a report?

If you have the names of students involved, the Title IX Coordinator or the Gender-Based Misconduct Office will reach out to them. For students who have experienced gender-based misconduct, a case manager will help determine if they need accommodations (such as changes to exam dates or housing), will assist with referrals, and will assist the student in obtaining resources.  For any student who has been accused of violating the policy, the Office will also work directly with him or her if an investigation is initiated.

Do I need to do anything after I have filed a report?

No.  Once you file a report, your reporting obligation is complete, though you should keep any notes you have taken for future reference as the Title IX Coordinator or Gender-Based Misconduct Office may follow up with you if they have any questions as they are processing the report. The Gender-Based Misconduct Office will follow up with the student(s) involved to help arrange accommodations and access to additional resources, as appropriate.  You can continue to talk with the student over time, but please continue to communicate with the Title IX Coordinator or Gender-Based Misconduct Office if you learn of additional information.

Do I have reporting responsibilities if I hear that faculty or staff have experienced gender-based misconduct? If so, what are my responsibilities?

Teachers College Faculty and Staff should report gender-based misconduct involving employees to:    

  1. TC Title IX Coordinator at or (212) 678-3732,  
  2. Human Resources Office EEOC/AA Officer Lisa Seales at or (212) 678-3196, or  
  3. You can also share these resources for faculty and staff: 
    1. The confidential Ombuds Office (at TC) 
    2. The Employee Assistance Program (contact Human Resources for details -- you need not explain why you want to contact the EAP)
    3. St. Luke's Crime Victims Treatment Center, (212) 523-4728 provides medical services and counseling near campus for anyone.

      For much more information about the Gender-Based Misconduct Policy for Students, resources, and more, please see the University's Sexual Respect website at or TC's Title IX website at

      Upcoming Events

      See all events