Thursday, Dec. 31, 2020
Articles published from the DLL Lab and Collaborators in 2020:
- López, L.M., Komaroff, E., Hammer, C.S., Rodriguez, B., Scarpino, S.E., Bitetti, D., & Goldstein, B. (2020). Are we all speaking the same language? Exploring language interactions in the homes of young Latino DLLs living in the U.S. Early Education and Development, 31(8), 1247-1263. https://doi.org/10.1080/10409289.2020.1718473
- Castro, D., Hammer, C.S., Franco, X., Cycyk, L.M., Scarpino, S.E., & Burchinal, M. (2020). Documenting bilingual experiences in the early years: Using the CECER-DLL Child and Family and Teacher Questionnaires. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 23(5), 958-963. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728920000401
- Keffala, B., Scarpino, S.E., Hammer, C.S., Rodriguez, B., López, L.M., & Goldstein, B. (2020). Vocabulary and phonological abilities affect dual language learners' consonant production accuracy within and across languages: A large-scale study of 3- to 6-year-old Spanish-English dual language learners. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 29(3), 1196–1211. https://doi.org/10.1044/2019_AJSLP-19-00145
- Cycyk, L.M.* & Hammer, C.S. (2020). Beliefs, values, and practices of Mexican immigrant families towards language and learning in toddlerhood: Setting the foundation for early childhood education. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 52(3a), 25-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2018.09.009
- Ramírez, R., Cycyk, L.M., Scarpino, S.E., López, L.M., & Hammer, C.S. (2020). Teachers’ beliefs and misconceptions regarding dual language learners in Head Start: An opportunity for enhancing professional development. National Head Start Association Dialog, 23(1), 48-51.
- Ramírez, R., Cycyk, L.M., Scarpino, S.E., López, L.M., & Hammer, C.S. (2020). Teachers’ beliefs regarding dual language learners in Head Start. National Head Start Association Dialog, 23(1), 23-39.
- Larson, A.L., An, Z.G., Wood, C., Uchikoshi, Y., Cycyk, L.M., Hammer, C.S., Escobar, K., & Roberts, K. (2020). Social validity in early language interventions for dual language learners: A systematic review of the literature. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 40(1), 39–51. https://doi.org/10.1177/0271121419901289
- Hammer, C.S., Burchinal, M., Hong, S.S., LaForett, D.R., Páez, M., Buysse, V., Espinosa, L., Castro, D., & López, L.M., (2020). Change in language and literacy knowledge for Spanish-English dual language learners at school entry: Analyses from three studies. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 51(2), 81-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2019.07.001
- Bitetti, D., Hammer, C.S., & López, L.M. (2020). The narrative macrostructure production of Spanish-English bilingual preschoolers: Within-and cross-language relations. Applied Psycholinguistics, 41(1), 79–106. https://doi.org/10.1017/s0142716419000419
- Larson, A.L., Cycyk, L.M., Carta, J.J., Hammer, C.S., Baralt, M., Uchikoshi, Y., An, Z.G., & Wood, C. (2020). A systematic review of language-focused interventions for young children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 50(1), 157-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2019.06.001
Presentations from the DLL Lab and Collaborators in 2020:
- Sawyer, B.E., Hammer, C. S., Smith, J.C., Santoro, J.R., & Cai, Y. (2020, February 27-29). Parents Plus: Examining the promise of a parent intervention for parents of preschool children with language impairment [Poster presentation]. Conference on Research Innovations in Early Intervention, San Diego, CA.
- Smith, J.C., Hammer, C. S., Sawyer, B.E., & Santoro, J.R. (2020, November). Parents Plus: Preliminary findings on the effectiveness of a parent-implemented preschool language intervention [Proposal 11578]. Proposal accepted at the Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, San Diego, CA. (Convention canceled due to COVID-19)