Admission Requirements include:
- Baccalaureate Degree in relevant field from regionally accredited higher education institution
- Preparation in one of the areas eligible to take the Certified Diabetes Educator Certification Examination (please visit www.ncbde.org for a full list).
- Academic qualifications consistent with graduate school, including undergraduate and/or graduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- If an applicant’s native language is not English, or if an applicant received his/her baccalaureate degree from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction, he/she must submit official scores from an accepted English proficiency exam. This requirement is in effect regardless of where the applicant received a prior graduate degree (if any).
- Admission to the Diabetes Education and Management Master of Science degree program is also based upon adequacy and relevance of academic preparation; evidence of registration, licensure, or certification in one of the fields mentioned above; relevance of prior professional experience and related activities; and potential to benefit from additional professional preparation in diabetes education and management. Writing is an integral part of any graduate program, especially one that is solely online. Admission to and success in the DEDM program are contingent upon evidence of advanced writing skills.
- Online application
- Official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate programs
- Copies of registration, licensure, or certification in clinical psychology, nursing (registered nurses only), occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, medicine, osteopathy, podiatry, dietetics, physician assistant, or exercise physiology
- Two or three letters of recommendation (preferably from an academic professor)
- Written personal essay of a few pages that includes your interest in diabetes, your experience as a diabetes educator, if any, and your career goals
View our Program Guide for more information.
Applicants who would like to be considered for TC Scholarship must complete the scholarship application along with the program application. The TC Scholarship application final deadline is April 15 (earlier is better).