Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) supports international students and scholars at the College on multiple levels -– immigration regulatory advising and processing, cultural adjustment, social enrichment, and assistance with practical matters related to living in the U.S. Please direct all visa-related questions to the OISS (tcintl@tc.columbia.edu | 1-212-678-3939).

The Office of International Affairs (OIA) is responsible for coordinating, developing, and expanding the scope of TC's international initiatives. OIA acts as a liaison between internal and international entities, sets guidelines for collaboration, and serves as a clearing house for international information and resources.


Please send an email to internationalaffairs@tc.edu, detailing how you wish to collaborate with Teachers College. We will determine whether the request is feasible, and if so, help you identify next steps.

If you are currently a doctoral student in a regionally accredited institution within the United States, or its equivalent from a country other than the United States, you may be eligible for the Visiting Doctoral Students (VDS) Program. For more information on the VDS program policy and application process, please see the Office of International Students and Scholars.

Teachers College (TC) welcomes visitors and others who do not hold academic appointments at the College to come to TC, for a specific period of time, to facilitate their research and to participate in the activities of the College. To accommodate the needs of these individuals and to recognize their contribution to the intellectual life of the College, TC confers Visiting Scholar status with limited benefits and privileges, according to the policies and procedures described by the College.

Visiting scholars are processed through the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). Please feel free to contact OISS (tcintl@tc.columbia.edu | 212-678-3939) with any questions you may have.

TC Faculty & Staff

If you’re traveling internationally on College-related business, please review the OIA Travel Handbook. Please also review guidelines for international travel per the Office of Risk Management.

Please contact the Office of Risk Management (kaplan@tc.edu | 1-212-678-3482) if you need assistance with an insurance claim or other insurance-related issues.

For more information about the Fulbright program, please visit the Fulbright Scholar Program website.

TC Students

You can find more information about the OIA International Travel Grant here. Announcements about application deadlines will also be posted on our homepage so please check back periodically.

For more information about the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, please visit the IIE Fulbright U.S. Student Program website. To learn more about the TC application process, please visit the TC Fulbright page.

Back to skip to quick links