Master of Education (Ed.M.) | International and Comparative Education Program | International & Transcultural Studies

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo

International and Comparative Education

In the Department of International & Transcultural Studies

Master of Education (60 points)

Description of the Master of Education (Ed.M.) Program Requirements

International Educational Development (IED – code: INTL)
Comparative and International Education (CIE – code: COMP)

Download IED/CIE Requirements for the Ed.M. Degree including the Course Planning Worksheet for EdM students (PDF)

With regard to all Ed.M. program requirements, please note:

· Records: Copies are important! It is highly recommended that students keep personal copies of all paperwork submitted to TC offices. Copies of all forms submitted to the Registrar should ALSO be filed in the student file in the ICE program office. This is the responsibility of every student. 

· Communication: Read the weekly Notes from Grace Dodge Hall for important updates and deadlines. Contact the Program Assistant if you have any questions.  

· Advisement: It is the student’s responsibility to meet with his/her faculty advisor and have all coursework approved. It is recommended that students meet with the faculty advisor at least once at the beginning of each semester to discuss course offerings and receive approval of all study plans.

· Choosing courses: It is recommended that students sit in on different courses during the first two weeks of any semester. For course suggestions, students may ask the faculty advisor, the Peer Advisor, or the ICE Program Assistant. Also, speaking with fellow students is a good way to learn about courses being offered. 

· Registering for courses: Students may add or drop courses until the date posted by the Registrar (refer to the TC Academic Calendar) through the online Student Information System. New students need a registration PIN, which they can obtain from the ICE Program Assistant at Orientation.

· Courses Outside of TC: All courses taken outside TC at Columbia University are subject to the tuition rates of the school offering the course. Consult the Registrar for current rates and for instructions on how to register.  Please check with your advisor. Faculty approval recommended. Note: Doctoral students please see the TC Catalogue for information about taking courses through the Inter-University Doctoral Consortium.

· Full v. part-time status and Certificates of Equivalency (COE): Part-time status is the equivalent of 0-11 credits. Full-time status is the equivalent of 12 or more credits. Part-time students who require full-time certification (for such reasons as funding/financial aid, international student status, IP fieldwork) may file a Certificate of Equivalency form. This must be signed by the student’s advisor and may be obtained online or in person from the Registrar. 

· Transfer credit: Not applicable to M.A. students. All other students should consult your program requirements for details.

1. Coursework (at least 60 graduate level credits, including up to 30 transferred credits).

Ed.M. coursework falls into four broad areas: 

Area 1: Core Courses (9 credits)

· Choose one: ITSF 4090 (Issues and Institutions in International Educational Development) or ITSF 4091 (Comparative Education)

· ITSF Research Methods Course

· One other advisor-approved ITSF course

Area 2: Concentration (at least 18 credits)

· Courses counting towards the concentration must be faculty advisor-approved.

· Students considering a change in concentration must discuss the change with the faculty advisor.

· In some cases, transferred credits may be applied in this area. 

Area 3: Transcultural/Area Studies (at least 18 credits)

· Courses must come from at least three of the following categories: topics, research methods, professional skills, internship/practicum.

· Transferred credits may be applied in this area.

Area 4: TC Electives (at least 15 credits)

· To fulfill the TC breadth requirement, Ed.M. students must take at least 6 points of courses that are at TC but outside of the ICE program. Courses offered by other programs within the ITS department (anthropology) can also count as TC breadth electives if they are outside of the student’s concentration.

· Other elective courses can be taken outside of the ITS department or transferred from other schools.

Transfer credit:

A maximum of 30 credits may be transferred from other recognized institutions. Only graduate courses which have been (1) completed with grades of B or higher, (2) submitted on an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution, (3) granted/assigned graduate credit on the transcript of that institution, and (4) completed prior to enrollment at Teachers College may be considered for transfer credit. Transfer credit is awarded at the discretion of the faculty advisor and according to College policy. After registering for the first semester, students should obtain and fill out an Advanced Standing Review (ASR) application from the Office of the Registrar and return it to the Office of the Registrar. Transcripts will be evaluated and sent to the ICE Program Assistant, who will then contact the student with further instructions. The entire process can take several months.

2. Integrative Project (IP)

· Completion of an IP is required for the Ed.M. degree. Please see the guidelines for Masters’ Integrative Project (IP) in the student handbook.

· Students should consult with the faculty advisor about the IP at least one semester before the intended graduation date. After the IP topic has been approved, the IP Advisors are available to guide students through the completion of the IP.

· Students who are working on the IP but not registered for any other classes may register for IND 4000 (Masters Candidate).

3. Graduation

· Full-time students who transfer the full 30 credits can complete the Ed.M. degree within one academic year (fall semester, spring semester, and summer session).

· In order to graduate, students need to review their coursework on Degree Audit (accessed through myTC portal) and have it approved by their faculty advisor. Once the IP is completed, the student's faculty advisor must approve it through Degree Audit. Students may contact the Registrar for specific deadlines. Students must submit a soft and hard copy of the IP to be filed in the ICE Program office (374 GDH). Students will complete a release form indicating whether or not they grant permission for the IP to be viewed by other students.

For more information, review the full ICE Student Handbook here.

  • Apply
  • Request Info