TC Resources

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo

International Services

The Office of

TC Resources for Financial Aid

The following information is for continuing students who are seeking ways of meeting their educational costs and living expenses while studying at Teachers College. Teachers College has very limited scholarship resources, so it is important to plan ahead.

The TC Scholarship and Financial Aid Process

It is essential for continuing students to work closely with departmental and academic advisors regarding possibilities for obtaining meaningful scholarship and financial assistance. Virtually all scholarship assistance decisions are made by the individual departments. It is important to discuss your financial needs and requirements with your individual advisor well in advance. Departmental committees typically make financial aid decisions in the spring for the following academic year.

TC maintains several scholarship funds through which students receive assistance. These funds include a general scholarship fund as well as an international scholarship fund. Please note that the Office of International Services does not make scholarship award decisions, even for the international scholarship fund. Funding decisions are made by the individual academic departments.

TC Grants, Awards, and Fellowships

Throughout the year, various TC offices will announce applications for grants, awards, and fellowships in support of certain kinds of research activities and programs. The level of financial support provided by these grants may range from small stipends to much more substantial awards of several thousands of dollars. Continuing doctoral students are especially encouraged to research and apply for these grants. Some of the grants that international students have pursued include the following:

Employment and Assistantships

Continuing students in F-1 or J-1 status who have completed at least one semester of study at TC may become eligible for on-campus employment. After one academic year, most students will become eligible to engage in off-campus internships. Please review the employment information in this web site for more information about possible employment opportunities that may provide financial assistance. Also, since individual situations may vary, consult the OIS with specific questions regarding employment eligibility.

Very often students are also hired as graduate research or teaching assistants. These offers are made by individual faculty members and will vary according to their teaching and research needs.

Student Loans

US banks, such as Citibank and JP Morgan Chase, offer international student loan programs for qualified applicants.  However, these loan programs typically require a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to act as a -'co-signer' to the loan application.  If you have a U.S. co-signer, please go to the web site of your preferred bank or lending institution for more information.