Change of Program and/or Degree Level

Change of Program and/or Degree Level

F-1 students are required to notify the Office of International Students and Scholars and the Department of Homeland Security when there is a change in academic programs and/or degree levels. Examples of changes that require notification are:

  • a change in major field
  • a change in degree level
  • a change in major field and degree level

Notification Procedure

  1. If you are interested in changing majors and/or degree levels, you must first work with the Registrar's on procedures for reapplying to a new academic program.
  2. Upon receiving notification from the Registrar that you have been admitted to the new program, you must notify the OISS of this change. In most cases, you will need to submit an application for a new I-20Under F-1 regulations, a new I-20 must be issued when there is a significant change in your academic information, including a change in your major field and/or degree level. To obtain an I-20 application, complete the Application for a new I-20 eForm. Note that you must submit updated financial documents along with your application. Check with the OISS for more details.
  3. The OISS will issue a new Form I-20 to reflect the updated information in your academic program, along with specific instructions regarding registration and travel.
  4. When you begin your new major and/or degree program, the OISS will notify the Department of Homeland Security on your behalf, using the electronic SEVIS database system.

Important Note on Deadlines

You are required to notify the OISS within 10 days of any change in your academic program. The OISS is required to notify the Department of Homeland Security within 21 days after you have started your new academic program. Because of these deadlines are mandated by immigration regulations, failure to make the appropriate notifications in a timely manner may lead to your F-1 status being placed in jeopardy. If you 'fall out' of F-1 status because you did not make the appropriate notifications to our office, you will lose eligibility for F-1 benefits and will need to apply for reinstatement to F-1 status

Back to skip to quick links