Termination or Completion of F-1 Status

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo

International Services

The Office of

Termination or Completion of F-1 Status

Completion of F-1 Status

F-1 students are admitted for 'duration of status.' This means that your status comes to and end after you have completed your course of study and any post-completion Optional Practical Training for which you may have been authorized.

Once you have completed your studies and/or any OPT, you are allowed a maximum of sixty (60) days to do one of the following:

  • prepare for departure from the U.S.
  • apply for a new I-20 to begin a new program of study at TC
  • transfer your F-1 records to a new school, to begin a new program of study at that institution, or
  • apply for a change of non-immigrant status to another classification, such as H-1 'working visa' status.

Early Withdrawal

On occasion, students may find that they need to withdraw from studies - either temporarily or permanently - due to various reasons. If you believe you will need to withdraw from your program, please contact the Office of International Services before withdrawing.

The OIS will authorize you to withdraw from classes and grant you a 15 day period to prepare for departure from the U.S. You must obtain this approval prior to withdrawing from classes.

If you terminate your course of study without prior approval from the Office of International Services, you are not eligible for an additional period for departure. Your status ends immediately on the day you withdrew from your program.

Termination of Status

Teachers College is required to terminate the F-1 records of any student for a number of different reasons. Termination may take place because the student has departed the United States, has obtained a different immigration status, or has committed an immigration violation of some kind. Some typical reasons for termination include:

  • Early withdrawal from course of study
  • Authorized absence from the United States exceeding five months or more
  • Change of non-immigrant status
  • Adjustment to permanent resident status
  • Unlawful employment
  • Failure to enroll as a full-time student without permission

Please speak to the OIS if you believe any of these termination reasons may apply to you. Students whose records are terminated may not use their I-20(s) or F-1 visas to travel or re-enter the United States. Consult the OIS for more details.