Housing Options for International Students

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo

International Services

The Office of

Housing Options for International Students

Housing Options

Housing in New York City is extremely expensive - perhaps as a high as anywhere else in the world. On-campus housing is the least expensive and most convenient alternative. However, because TC has only a limited housing supply, acceptance to Teachers College does not guarantee that you will be given on-campus housing. This section addresses three frequently asked questions about housing.

    Where can I live on-campus while I am a Teachers College student?
    How can I find an off-campus apartment?
    Are there places I can stay while I'm looking for an apartment?
Where can I live on-campus while I am a Teachers College student?

Teachers College owns residence halls in the Columbia University neighborhood, but not in sufficient numbers to provide housing for all students who would like to live in the area. College-owned housing is assigned through the Office of Residential Services. You can apply for housing up to one year in advance of the semester you plan to begin enrollment at Teachers College, even before admission is actually granted. Because housing space is limited and decisions must be made quickly, it is important to apply early and to notify Residential Services if your address changes. When you are offered a room assignment and you wish to accept it, you should notify Residential Services immediately and send the required deposit.

A signed contract and a security deposit equivalent to one month's rent are required for all types of on-campus housing. Deposits are refunded with interest when you leave the residence without damage. Rent is billed on a semester-by-semester basis by Student Accounts.

On-campus housing options, prices and eligibility requirements are described in the Application for Residence Halls which can be found on the Office of Residential Services web site. You must mail your application directly to:

Residence Halls Office,
Teachers College Box 312
New York, NY 10027

Phone: (212) 678-3235
Fax: (212) 678-3222
Office of Residential Services

Send it as early as possible, as housing is limited and in very high demand.

International House.  Another option for Teachers College students is living at International House (I-House). I-House, only a ten minute walk from Teachers College, is a private residence hall for international and domestic students attending educational institutions in New York City. It accommodates over 750 single students, approximately 450 from other countries and 300 from the United States. Most rooms do not have cooking facilities. A meal plan is offered at additional cost. Information may be obtained by writing directly to:

International House
500 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10027, USA

Phone: (212) 316-8434
Fax: (212) 316-1827
e-mail: admissions@ihouse-nyc.org
Web: http://www.ihouse-nyc.org/
How can I find an off-campus apartment?

Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA), which lists non-Columbia owned apartments and rooms, is located at 419 West 119th Street, between Amsterdam Avenue and Morningside Drive. You will need to take your Teachers College ID card or your letter of admission to the OCHA in order to use this service. Once you have an OCHA ID and password, you can view the housing listings on-line: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ire/ocha/.

In New York, apartments are sometimes difficult to find, and rents are high. In most cases, you will be asked to pay one month's rent in advance and a security deposit before moving in. An additional fee is paid to a rental agent, if one is used. Many students try to find roommates to share apartments. The Office of International Services has copies of a useful housing-search booklet and guide, Help Yourself to Housing, published by Metro International.  Please stop by to pick up a copy.
Many students also use on-line commercial bulletin boards and posting services, such as Craigslist, to find housing in the city or with persons who are looking for roommates.  

Are there places I can stay while I'm looking for an apartment?

If you cannot secure housing before you arrive in New York, there are several temporary arrangements you can make while you are looking for more permanent housing. Listed below are several sources of temporary housing in the city which students have used in the past. We strongly recommend that you contact these facilities at least one month in advance. Please contact each facility to determine space availability and rates.

Both Men and Women

    International House, 500 Riverside Dr., NY, NY
    (212) 316-8434
    International Student Center, 38 West 88th St., NY, NY
    (212) 787-7706
    New York International American Youth Hostel, 891 Amsterdam Ave., at 103rd St., NY, NY
    (212) 932-2300
    email: hiayhnyc@aol.com
    Vanderbilt YMCA, 224 East 47th St., NY, NY
    (212) 756-9600
    Westside YMCA, 5 West 63rd St., NY, NY
    (212) 875-4100.

Tips for Surviving TC