FAQs | Science Education | Mathematics Science and Technology

Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Science Education

In the Department of Mathematics, Science & Technology


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Q. What is the normal progress to achieve certification?
A. A student should aspire to achieve certification in the term in which about 65% of the course work has been completed, and with permission from faculty advisor.

Q. Do I need a Masters degree to apply? If so, in which fields?
A. No, but to be admitted to the program, students will be required to have a bachelors degree in one of the sciences or its equivalent.



Q. Can I acquire a license to teach with this degree?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I apply for spring or summer admission?
A. Yes.

Q. What can students do with this degree after graduation?
A. With a Masters degree, graduates from the program become certified school teachers, and typically teach in public, private/independent, and charter schools.


General Questions: All Programs

Q. Do I need a degree in the sciences to be considered for the program?
A. Students applying to the program are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in one of the sciences (i.e., biology, chemistry, earth science, physics) or equivalent.

Q. How do you decide who gets a scholarship/fellowship?
A. The faculty collectively make a decision about scholarships/fellowships and they are based upon academic merit. To be considered for scholarship/fellowship or assistantship positions, students have to complete a Teachers College Scholarship Application (i.e., FAFSA).

Q. Do you offer online classes?
A. You may take online classes to fulfill an out-of-program elective, but all other classes are mostly offered as face-to-face, in-person, on campus classes. Our classes typically offered from 4:00 pm- 9:00 pm, offered one day per week, Monday through Thursday.

Q. What is the price of the program?
A. For more information, please visit the Office of Registrar by clicking here

Q. What are the minimum GRE scores and GPA needed to apply?
A. We review applications as a whole, looking at GPA and courses from all college/universities attended, 2-3 strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written statement of purpose (2-3 pages). Please note that the GRE is required for all degrees leading toward certification.

Q. Can I apply to be fully funded?
A. At this time, we do not offer fully-funded financial aid packages.

Q. How do I get an advisor? Can I choose?
A. All masters students will be assigned to Dr. Jessica Riccio. Doctoral students will also be assigned an incoming advisor who will work with you during your first two years. After passing the certification exam, you may choose to switch advisors to one that matches your particular research interests. 

Q. How many transfer credits can be applied to the Ph.D. degree?
A. As many as 30 points of graduate transfer credit can be applied to the doctoral degrees. No credits can be used towards the masters degree.

Q. What is the credit requirement for the doctoral programs?
A. The program requires a minimum of 75 points/credits.

Q. What is the minimum TOEFL score needed?
A. If you have completed your undergraduate degree where English is not the official language of instruction, you may take either the TOEFL or the IELTS.

  • TOEFL minimum score requirement: 100 internet based (IBT) 600 paper-based exam (PBT)
  • IELTS: minimum score requirement: 7.0

Q. Will having a Masters degree from Teachers College facilitate my entry into the Ph.D. program?
A. Graduates of Teachers College are not favored for admissions to the doctoral programs. However, former students’ transition to the doctoral program is only facilitated by familiarity with faculty and the TC culture.

  • Apply
  • Request Info