Institutional Recommendation

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo
Teacher Education at Teachers College

Teacher Education at Teachers College

Institutional Recommendation

One of the requirements of the approved teacher preparation pathway is an institutional recommendation leading to New York State certification.

An institutional recommendation means that the institution where you completed your "Approved Teacher Preparation Program" is verifying to the New York State Education Department (NYSED) that you have completed a Teacher Education Program or an Administration and Pupil Personnel Program which satisfies the New York State Department of Education's requirements for certification in that particular area, as agreed upon in the program registration.

Institutional Recommendation Guide

NYSTCE (New York State Teacher Certification Examination):
Applicants for New York State teacher certification (a/o May 1, 2014) are NYSED-required to take/pass the applicable NYSTCE listed below:



New York State Teacher Certification Examination main page link:



INTIAL Teaching

Educating All Students Test (EAS)
Content Specialty Tests (CST)

INITIAL School Building Leader



PROFESSIONAL-School Disctrict Leader


Revised (Sept. 2013) School Building Leader Assessment (SBL) Part I & Part II
Educating All Students Test (EAS)


Revised (Sept. 2013) School District Leader (SDL) Pat I & Part II

Educating All Students Test (EAS)




If you have not completed the adequate amount of undergraduate course work for your pending degree you can receive undergraduate credit by taking the CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) tests.

CLEP is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the country.

More than 2,900 accredited institutions of higher education award credit for satisfactory scores on CLEP examinations.

The tests are a "series of examinations, each 90 minutes long, that allow you to demonstrate your knowledge in a wide range of subjects."

If you are planning on taking a CLEP test, the math and foreign language exams, please see reverse side for specific requirements.


Additional Questions: 
E-mail or call (800) 257-9558

In New York State, you must have a certificate (either INITIAL/PROVISIONAL or PROFESSIONAL/PERMANENT) to be able to teach in a NYS-public school.

Certification means that the New York State Education Department (NYSED) has reviewed your credentials and certified you as eligible to teach.  Teachers in Charter schools also require certification.

Private or Independent schools, however, do not always require a teaching certificate.

Visa concerns:

Certification makes you eligible to teach, but it does not supersede your visa status.  You also need an appropriate work authorization to teach in the public schools.  One option for F-1 students is Optional Practical Training, which provides an employment authorization for a maximum of 12 months.  See "F-1 Employment and Practical Training" information at

For information on work authorization sponsored by the NYC-Department of Education International Recruitment Office - Phone: (718) 935-5854

Below are the 2 types of teaching certificates & the 2 types of pupil personnel service certificate:
  1. INITIAL/PROFESSIONAL (NYS-teaching certificate type & School Building LeaderSchool Disctrict Leader)
  2. PROVISIONAL/PERMANENT (NYS-School Counseling and School Psychologist certification)

US citizenship is not required for NYS-INITIAL/PROVISIONAL certification.
US Permanent Residence ("Green Card") IS required for NYS-PROFESSIONAL/PERMANENT Certification.

Requirements for initial certification can be found at

Certification through a Teachers College degree program leading to an Approved Teacher Preperation program requires:


Certification through Individual Application* (i.e., not through Teachers College):
*With the exception of Childhood Ed (1-6), School Building Leader and School District Leader*
If you completed your education in another country (or another U.S. institution), you may be eligible for New YorkState certification.  The New York State Education Department will evaluate credits/credentials from other institutions or agencies.
You must meet the following requirements:
  • For Secondary teacher certification, you need to have an undergraduate degree in the field/subject area you plan to teach (at least 30 credits in the academic subject), plus 21 credits of pedagogy, and student teaching.
  • For Certification in special subjects, you need18 credits of pedagogy, and a minimum of 30 credits in the subject, an undergraduate major in that field, plus student teaching.
Classroom teaching experience includes experience earned in a public or approved nonpublic preschool or elementary, middle, or secondary school as well as in-state & out-of-state- experience. 

Claimed experience may be in any grade or subject. 

Experience that is not full time may be credited on a prorated basis.

Teaching assistant experience is not applicable to this requirement.
NYSED-PDF link to form: 
Teachers working as substitutes in numerous districts may wish to have each district verify the experience by providing a short letter on district letterhead.
FYI: Professional Development Standards NYSED link:

Completion of New York certification requirements and Teachers College programs does not automatically translate into certification or licensure in other states.

If you plan on seeking certification outside of New York State, it will be to your advantage to investigate certification requirements for that state. When applying for certification in other states, there may be additional courses and exams required by the state where you seek certification. In most states, applicants may be issued a temporary license for one to two years, during which additional requirements must be completed.

More information can be found by contacting the State Department of Education or visiting the website of the state in which you are interested.  

Please note, individual state requirements and contact information are subject to change.  

For information regarding interstate agreement for Applicants from Other States, please click here.
For Information regarding the Department of Education in other states, kindly follow the links provided.

 Candidates MUST enter in the NYSED - TEACH system, their electronic certification application(s) and pay $50 for each certificate.

Payment is to be made DIRECTLY to the NYSED to cover your certificate fee.

Hard copy of the IRDF can be picked up in the Office of Teacher Education (OTE) located in Zankel Hall 411. OR printed from the OTE-certification website.

The IRDF must be completed by the candidate and submitted back to the OTE.  

Official Undergraduate & other Non-TC transcripts (including WES translation & evaluation/equivalency for overseas degree/program completed) submitted to Teachers College (TC) at the time of admissions will be used to conduct the required New York State Education Department (NYSED)  “General  Core Liberal Arts and Sciences” evaluation AND to support your “institutional recommendation” at the NYSED level

Incomplete Bachelor's degree transcript (s): OTE will require you to submit OFFICIAL transcript(s) showing your bachelor's degree conferral date.

Proof completion of the 3 NYSED required workshops, if not previously submitted to the OTE:

Teachers College-- workshops provider links

NYSED--workshops provider links