Arthur Zankel Urban FellowshipSkip to content Skip to main navigation
Arthur Zankel Urban Fellowship
Thank you to the 300 plus students who applied for the 2020-2021 Zankel Fellowship. As of August 1, 2020, most of the placements have been decided. Due to the uncertainity surrounding how school for NYC public schools will be held, we appreciate your patience as the remaining fellowship spots are evaluated. All applications are kept on file for the academic year in case any openings become available.
The Arthur Zankel Urban Fellowship is a financial aid award in the amount of $11,000 per academic year for Teachers College students to work with disadvantaged inner-city youth. The Zankel Fellowship is made possible by a gift from the estate of Arthur Zankel, who was an esteemed trustee of Teachers College. The Zankel Urban Fellows carry on Mr. Zankel's legacy of passion for education by contributing their expertise to programs serving disadvantaged inner-city youth.
Zankel Fellows undertake a fellowship during the academic year in an approved project. They are required to spend an average of ten hours a week for the fellowship with five of those hours working directly with youth. During the application process, students request and are matched to an approved project according to their skills, interests, and experience. The fellowship is supervised by a TC sponsor, who is a faculty/staff member.
Descriptions of the 2020-2021 projects are available under the "Projects" tab above.
- Be matriculated or fully-admitted to a masters or doctoral degree program at Teachers College (international students are not eligible during their first year of study).
- Have consecutive enrollment for a minimum of six credits in the fall and spring semesters.
- Have demonstrated financial need, as determined by TC's Office of Financial Aid. You will not be considered for the Zankel Fellowship unless you have completed a FAFSA for 2020-2021. Note that TC's Federal School Code is: G03979.
- Exhibit the interests, skills, experiences and/or characteristics that are a good match to the purpose of the fellowship and the approved project.
- Be available to complete the required fellowship during the normal school day in both fall and spring semesters.
Please click the tabs above for more information.
To read the most recent Zankel Fellows' activity reports, click on the links below.