Grievance Procedures

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo
Policy Library

Teachers College Policy Library

Grievance Procedures

Owner: Diversity & Community Affairs

Policy outlining Grievance Procedures available to TC community members.

Teachers College provides both informal and formal grievance and dispute resolution procedures. 

Informal Procedures.  The College believes that most individuals with concerns, misunderstandings and disputes are more likely to come forward if informal procedures are available.  In the interests of resolving such matters promptly and efficiently, the College provides numerous options to obtain information and raise concerns about other members of the TC community (or visitors) in an informal manner.  The College encourages individuals to begin discussions and resolutions with people in their departments, programs, and units, if applicable and comfortable.

In General: 

  • Students with concerns or problems are encouraged to go first to the faculty member, and if the concern is not resolved, contact their program coordinator or departmental chair. If the concern or problem is not resolved at the program or departmental level, students may contact the Office of the Vice Provost at Office of the Vice Provost, or Vice Provost for Student Affairs, Tom Rock, at (212) 678-3083 or  
  • Professional and other non-union staff with concerns or problems that have not been resolved through their supervisors or within their departments may contact Human Resources at (212) 678-3175 or, and inform them of the concern in writing. If not satisfied with the Human Resources resolution, the staff member may submit a written description of the problem to the appropriate Vice President and request a resolution. If the problem is still not resolved or continues, professional staff members may submit a written description of the problem to the President. see: Informal Grievance Procedure policy 307 in the Policy Library
  • Union members with concerns or problems that have not been resolved by their steward, supervisor, or within their departments may contact Human Resources at (212) 678-3175 or The College Ombuds is available as well.
  • Any member of the community may contact the Vice President for Diversity and Community Affairs at (212) 678-3391 or or the College Ombuds, Steven Peverly, at (212) 678-4169 or, or the College Ombuds for Gender-Based Misconduct, Riddhi Sandil, at (212) 678-4016 or


Special Situations: 

  • Crimes; Health or Safety Emergencies.  Anyone who witnesses or is the victim of a crime or who is concerned about a health or safety emergency should immediately contact the Office of Public Safety. Emergency: (212) 678-3333.  Non-emergency: (212) 678-3220. 
  • Sexual Assault, Gender-Based Misconduct, Stalking, and Intimate Partner Violence. Reports of gender-based misconduct by TC or other Columbia students should be directed to Student Services for Gender Based and Sexual Misconduct;  The University’s Gender-Based Misconduct Policies for Students can be found at
  • People with Disabilities. Any person with disabilities who seeks reasonable accommodations should contact the Office of Access and Services for Individuals with Disabilities (OASID) at (212) 678-3689 or Individuals with questions about providing reasonable accommodations may also see the OASID website, OASID website.
  • Environmental Health and Safety. Concerns about environmental health or safety should be directed to Patrick Mathelier in the Office of Environmental Health and Safety at (212) 678-6640 or You can also visit
  • Ethics Point reporting of financial concerns and health and safety concerns. The College operates a website and 800 number that permits the anonymous reporting of concerns about financial matters and health and safety matters. For more information, call 888-329-6420 or see  
  • Student Residence Halls. Students with housing concerns or problems are encouraged to speak to Dewayne White, Selema Moliga or a residential services staff member at (212) 678-3235 or


Formal Procedures

The College maintains formal procedures for the resolution of certain grievances. Formal complaints should be filed in accordance with TC policies, specifically:

  • For sexual harassment and other forms of discriminatory harassment matters (Teachers College prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, disability, pregnancy, gender expresssion, or any other criterion specified by federal, state or local laws), see Policy on Protection from Harassment at
  •  Sexual Assault, Gender-Based Misconduct, Stalking, and Intimate Partner Violence, see “Special Situations” above.
  • For complaints about discrimination (including failure to reasonably accommodate a person with disabilities), students and faculty may contact Tom Rock, Vice Provost for Student Affairs, at (212) 678-3083 or and other employees may contact the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources, at (212) 678-3175 or  Such complaints should be made in writing.
  • A faculty member who has been unable to resolve a problem informally may have rights under the Statutes of Teachers College and may contact the Chair of the Faculty Advisory Committee to discuss his/her options. 
  • Students with concerns or problems that have not been resolved informally may contact Vice Provost for Student Affairs, Tom Rock, at (212) 678-3083 or


Responsible Office: The Vice President's Office for Diversity and Community Affairs

Effective Date: October 2017

Last Updated: January 2018