Medical Assistance

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo
Public Safety

Public Safety

Medical Assistance


Medical Emergency                                                                                                    Community Response Procedures. 

If a person near you becomes ill or suffers from an injury, the following steps will help you assist that person:

  • DO NOT move a badly injured person (especially those who may be suffering from a head, neck, or spinal injury) unless they must be moved from an immediately hazardous location.
  • Call TC Public Safety at X3333 from a campus phone or 212-678-3333 from a cell phone.  If you call 9-1-1 from a cell phone give your name, location, and phone number
  • Check on the condition of the victim. Is the victim breathing? Is there severe bleeding? Are there signs of shock?
  • Provide as much information as you can about the nature of the illness or injury, whether or not the victim is conscious, etc. Provide updates if the victim’s condition changes (for example, if a conscious patient goes unconscious or stops breathing). Do not hang up until instructed to do so by the emergency operator.
  • Administer first aid in accordance with your training and capabilities, and remain there until emergency personnel arrive. Open the victim’s airway (if the victim is unconscious or semi-conscious), control serious bleeding, and treat for shock. Remember to ask the permission of a conscious victim before attempting to provide first aid.
  • Ask others to help you, if needed. Have someone meet the responding emergency medical services personnel and escort them to the victim’s location.
  • Whenever possible, use personal protective equipment while examining and assisting an injured person (examination gloves, mask, eye protection, CPR shield, etc.).      OK 1/21/15 mp   


What you should do:

  • Dial Public Safety at 212-678-3333 or call 911 or direct someone to do so and provide the following information:
    • Building name
    • Exact location within the building
    • Your name and phone number
    • Nature of the emergency /description of injured person’s injury or illness
    • Do not hang up until advised to do so by the dispatcher.
  • Render first aid if you are trained to do so.
  • If an AED is available, you may administer if you are trained to do so.
  • Stay calm. Keep injured person warm with a coat or blanket.
  • Do not move the injured person unless there is danger of further injury.
  • Do not give the injured person anything to eat or drink.

What you should know:

  • Medical emergencies and accidents may occur at any time and may involve a student, employee or visitor.
  • Some emergencies may only require first aid care, while others may require immediate medical attention.
  • Report all medical emergencies to Public Safety by dialing 212-678-3333.

Emergency Phone Numbers 

  • Campus phone X3333
    Non campus or from cell phone 212-678-3333

Public Safety Alerts


Non-emergency College Services

  • TC PS Non emergency 3220
  • TC PS Administrative Office 3111
  • TC Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)   8164/6640
  • TC Facilities 3010  
  • TC Residential services 3235  
  • TC Student Development and Activities 3690  
  • TC Risk Management 3482

TC College Services

  • TC General College Information  3000
  • Office of Diversity 8410   
  • CU  PS 212-854-5555    
  • CUMC 212-854-(HELP) 4357 
  • Barnard College  212-854-3362  
  • Counseling and Psychological Services   212-854-2878 
  • CU Medical Center 212-305-8100