For Faculty & Staff



As an advisor, professor, TA, or staff member, you may be one of the first people to notice student’s challenges and its effects. Below you will find some contacts and resources that can help you assess what's the best way to refer a student for mental health services. Do not hesitate to contact the Student Support & Counseling team if you have any questions regarding how to address and support students.


For personal matters that are not related to students, and resources on Mental Health care for you as a faculty or staff member of TC, please contact Human Resources.

Consultations with Student Support & Counseling

Contact the SSC team to schedule brief consultations on how to address a mental health issue related to a student/advisee. Students may see a counselor for consultations as well, by appointment only.

Approaching a Student in Distress

Being a welcoming and effective support may be challenging and  overwhelming. The way you address or express interest and concern is just as important as your intention in supporting a student’s well-being. Take a look at this quick list of tips.

Columbia Counseling Center Drop-In Sessions

Columbia Health offers Urgent Mental Health Concerns drop-in hours for students experiencing high levels of distress and in need of immediate support from a mental health professional. This service is available to all students who have paid the Columbia Health Fee.

24/7 Columbia Mental Health Line - 212-854-2878

Columbia Mental Health  has a counselor on-call 24/7  for Mental Health Crisis Support. Call: 212-854-2878

24/7 Sexual Violence Response Line - 212-854-HELP (4357)

Crisis management, confidential counseling, advocacy, prevention,  outreach focused on interpersonal violence and harassment, 24/7 on-call support available to students. 

You may also contact the Title IX Coordinator at Teachers College for guidance on how to manage issues/incidents as needed.

Worried About You or a Student?

If not in an emergency, but still concerned about yourself, a classmate or another student, here's some guidance on how to approach the situation.

Back to skip to quick links