Literat, Ioana (il2311)Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Digital Culture: • Digital participation • Online creativity • Internet art • Creative crowdsourcing • Contemporary media culture • Online visual communication
New Media & Learning: • Participatory learning • New media literacies • Civic education
Communication Theory: • Communication and/as culture • Critical cultural theory• Participation, power and agency
Ph.D. in Communication, Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, University of Southern California
M.A. in Communication, Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, University of Southern California
B.A. in Film and Media Culture, Middlebury College
* = student co-authors
- Literat, I. & van den Berg, S.* (2017). Buy memes low, sell memes high: Vernacular criticism and collective negotiations of value on Reddit’s MemeEconomy. Information, Communication & Society. First published online: August 22.
- Feng, Y.* & Literat, I. (2017). Redefining Relations Between Creators and Audiences in the Digital Age: The Social Production and Consumption of Chinese Internet Literature. International Journal of Communication 11: 2584-2604.
- Li, Q.* & Literat, I. (2017). Misuse or misdesign? Yik Yak on college campuses and the moral dimensions of technology design. First Monday 22(7). First published online: July 3.
- Literat, I. (2017). The Power of a Pony: Youth Literacies, Participatory Culture, and Active Meaning-Making. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy 61(1): 113-116.
- Literat, I. (2017). Facilitating Creative Participation and Collaboration in Online Spaces: The Impact of Social and Technological Factors in Enabling Sustainable Engagement. Digital Creativity 28(2): 73-88.
- Literat, I. (2017). Refugee Selfies and the (Self-)Representation of Disenfranchised Social Groups. Media Fields Journal 12.
- Literat, I. & Glaveanu, V.P. (2016). Same but Different? Distributed Creativity in the Internet Age. Creativity: Research, Theories, Applications 3(2): 330-342.
- Literat, I. (2016). Interrogating Participation Across Disciplinary Boundaries: Lessons from Political Philosophy, Cultural Studies, Education, and Art. New Media & Society: first published online April 21.
- Literat, I. (2015). Implications of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) on Higher Education: Mitigating or Reifying Educational Inequities? Higher Education Research & Development.
- Literat, I., & Balsamo, A. (2014). Stitching the Future of the AIDS Quilt: The Cultural Work of Digital Memorials. Visual Communication Quarterly 21(3): 138-149.
- Literat, I. (2014). Empowering Local Women through Digital Training Programs: A Sustainable Income-Generating Model in Hyderabad, India. Journal of Interactive Technology and Pedagogy 5.
- Literat, I. (2014). Measuring New Media Literacies: Towards the Development of a Comprehensive Assessment Tool. Journal of Media Literacy Education 6(1): 15-27.
- Literat, I. (2013). N=1: A Social Scientific Inquiry into Happiness and Academic Labor. Hybrid Pedagogy: A Digital Journal of Learning, Teaching, and Technology.
- Literat, I. (2013). Participatory Innovation: The Culture of Contests in Popular Science Monthly, 1918-1938. Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 90(4): 776-790.
- Literat, I. & Chen, N.-T. ( 2013). Communication Infrastructure Theory and Entertainment-Education: An Integrative Model for Health Communication. Communication Theory, 24: 83-103.
- Literat, I. (2013). A Pencil for Your Thoughts: Participatory Drawing as a Visual Research Method with Children and Youth. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 12: 84-98.
- Literat, I. (2013). Participatory Mapping with Urban Youth: The Visual Elicitation of Socio-Spatial Research Data. Learning, Media & Technology, 38(2): 198-216.
- Literat, I. (2012). The Work of Art in the Age of Mediated Participation: Crowdsourced Art and Collective Creativity. International Journal of Communication, 6: 2962-2984.
- Felt, L., Vartabedian, V., Literat, I., & Mehta, R. (2012). Explore Locally, Excel Digitally: A Participatory Learning After-School Program for Enriching Citizenship On- and Offline. Journal of Media Literacy Education, 4(3): 213-228.
- Reilly, E., & Literat, I. (Eds.) (2012). Designing With Teachers: Participatory Approaches to Professional Development in Education. Los Angeles, CA: Annenberg Innovation Lab.