Aphasia therapy is offered at the Edward D. Mysak Clinic for Communication Disorders in both individual and group treatment formats. Clients are also provided with an initial evaluation. If you are interested in receiving aphasia therapy, please complete the forms located in the sidebar to the right and submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to the Mysak Clinic. Please do not fax these confidential forms.
One-on-one therapy sessions are customized to suit each client's current communication needs. Input is sought from each client, their families/caregivers and/or the facilities in which they reside. We provide compensatory strategies and/or augmentative communication tools. Our clients' goals range from multi-modal expression of basic needs and ideas to high-level word retrieval, reading comprehension and writing skills aimed at full community integration.
Aphasia Groups are offered on two different days at the Mysak Clinic.
**All clients need to be pre-approved prior to attending Aphasia Groups**Monday Groups
- Meets every Monday during the regular TC academic year
- Individual Sessions: 9:30 am – 11:00 am
1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
Group Sessions 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Social Lunch Group 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
- There are 3-4 small groups based on functioning level with 10-20 patients attending each group. Activities are created to improve word recall, memory, motor planning, and general expressive and receptive language abilities to foster socialization and activities of daily living.
- Meets the first Saturday of every month*
(*No meetings August and September)
- Time: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Breakfast and lunch provided
- Saturday groups meet the first Saturday of every month and are conducted in conjunction with the International Aphasia Movement. There is no charge for Saturday Aphasia Groups. There are 9 small groups of 4-6 participants determined by overall functioning level to maximize individual needs. Activities are created to be dynamic and interactive to enhance group cohesiveness. Saturday Groups also collaboration with other programs at TC: Mindfulness @TC, a meditation group to promote relaxation, and the Music Education Department and the Art Education Department. Additionally, Saturday groups engage in community outreach programs such as the art program at The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). Co-survivors meet simultaneously on Saturdays while participants are engaging in group therapy sessions. The co-survivors group is led by a co-survivor and the group provides an opportunity for family members and caregivers to share feelings and attitudes about living with a person with aphasia.
Co-survivor Support Group
- Meets the first Saturday of every month (except August and September)
- Time: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Co-survivors meet simultaneously while participants are engaging in their group therapy sessions. Led by a co-survivor, the group provides an opportunity to share feelings and attitudes about living with a person with aphasia.
For more information about Aphasia Therapy or the Aphasia Groups, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that the Mysak Clinic does not accept insurance, Medicaid or Medicare. Clients who receive therapy at the Mysak Clinic are responsible for payment. The Mysak Clinic offers a sliding fee scale for those individuals who cannot afford the full cost of therapy.
For a brochure about the Aphasia Groups click here.
Here are some links to helpful information for individuals who have aphasia:
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association:
National Aphasia Association (NAA):
Aphasia Bill of Rights from the NAA
Caregiver's Bill of Rights from the NAA
Academy of Aphasia:
Academy of Neurologic Communication Disorders and Sciences (ANCDS):