About the Program
The Certificate Program in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (TCSOL), co-sponsored by
- the TESOL and Applied Linguistics Programs at Teachers College, Columbia University,
- the Chinese Language Program in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures at Columbia University, and
- Asia for Educators at Columbia University,
provides state-of-the-art training in Chinese pedagogy. Developed and taught by a world-class team of experts, the program offers a cutting-edge curriculum that sets trainees on a fast and efficient track to gain knowledge and skills necessary for operating effectively in current and future classrooms in various contexts.
The program spans 12 week(end)s over one academic year (Fall and Spring semesters) and is ideal for both pre-service teachers and in-service teachers who look to develop or enhance their ability to teach through an accelerated program.
The program particularly welcomes applications from the following groups of people:
- College seniors or recent graduates majoring in Chinese studies
- Guest teachers from China or from other Chinese-speaking regions
- Mandarin speakers in the U.S. certified to teach other subjects
- Mandarin speakers in the U.S. not yet certified in any subject
- Professionals considering a career change
- Individuals looking for a professional career
We are currently accepting applications for the 2013-2014 session. Spaces are limited. Click here for information on how to apply. Application deadlines for Fall 2013 - Spring 2014 AY are:
- International students (who NEED to apply for J-1 Visa to enter the U.S.):
June 15, 2013 (final deadline) .
- Domestic students & International students (who do NOT need to apply for Visa):
August 15, 2013 (final deadline) .