Bilingual Extension Institute | Biobehavioral SciencesSkip to content Skip to main navigation
Bilingual Extension Institute
Welcome to the Bilingual Extension Institute!
For more than 21 years, the Bilingual Extension Institute has prepared bilingual speech-language pathologists with the specialized knowledge and clinical skills needed to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services to children and adolescents.
Based at Teachers College, Columbia University for the past 14 years, the Institute is led by TC Professor of Practice Catherine Crowley from the Communication and Sciences and Disorders program, and boasts an eight-person faculty, including seven master clinicians and mentors.
- Requirements: Discipline-specific and open only to bilingual speech and language providers.
- Academic Credit: Offered as a credit-bearing, non-degree program. Students receive six graduate-level credits from Teachers College, Columbia University through two courses focused on assessment and treatment for pre-school and school-age children.
The Online Institute is accepting applications for November 2017.
The Bilingual Extension Institute 2017
- Earn an advanced certificate in Bilingual Speech-Language Pathology (BSLP)
- Meet the requirements for a New York State Education Department bilingual extension certificate (for holders of the NYSED TSLD or TSHH only)
- Take advantage of a flexible, asynchronous format, with opportunities for live access to master teachers and practitioners.
The first three credit course begins November 1 and finishes January 31. The second three credit course begins February 1 and finishes April 30.
- Fulfills all requirements of the New York State Education Department (NYSED) bilingual extension certificate program approved by the NYSED for non-matriculated, non-degree seeking students at Teachers College (with the exception of NYSED BEA, the language proficiency test).
The Institute begins in May and meets at Teachers College, Columbia University in New York City for six weekends through December.
- Session dates: May 5, 6, 7; June 9, 10, 11; Sept 15, 16, 17; Oct 13, 14, 15; Nov 17, 18, 19; Dec 1, 2, 3
- Days/Time: Fridays, 6:00-8:30 pm; Saturdays, 9:00 am-4:00 pm; Sundays, 9:30 am-3:00 pm
Tuition: 2017 tuition for the in-person and online formats is $6,350 (plus a non-refundable deposit of $350.00).
- $30 course fee for each 3 credit course - $60 total
Email: Catherine Crowley Crowley@tc.columbia.edu
Director: Professor Catherine CrowleyEmail: Crowley@tc.columbia.edu