Perin, Dolores (dp111) | Teachers College Columbia UniversitySkip to content Skip to main navigation
Ph.D. in Psychology, University of Sussex, UK
- Reading and writing processes in children and adults
- Adult literacy
- Academic preparedness of postsecondary students
- Dyslexia and learning disabilties in adults
Huffman-Kelley, K., Perin, D. & Liu, X. (2015). Integrating reading skills in an introductory science classroom. Journal of College Science Teaching, 44(5), 10-15.
Perin, D. (2013). Literacy skills among academically underprepared students in higher education. Community College Review, 41(2), 118-136. doi: 10.1177/0091552113484057
Perin, D., Bork, R. H., Peverly, S. T., & Mason, L. H. (2013). A contextualized curricular supplement for developmental reading and writing. Journal of College Reading and Learning, 43(2), 8-38.
Perin, D. (2011). Facilitating student learning through contextualization: A review of the evidence. Community College Review, 39 (3), 268-295. doi: 10.1177/0091552111416227. Reprinted in Armstrong, S.L., Stahl, N.A. & Boylan, H.R. (Eds.). Teaching developmental reading (2nd ed., pp 409-437). Boston, MA: Bedford/ St. Martin’s Professional Resources.
Marri, A.R., Perin, D., Crocco, M.S., Riccio, J.F., Rivet, A. & Chase, B.J. (2011). Content-driven literacy: One approach to urban secondary teacher education. The New Educator, 7(4), 325-351. doi: 10.1080/1547688X.2011.619948
Perin, D., Crocco, M., Marri, A., Riccio, J., Rivet, A. and Chase, B. (2009). Integrating literacy in content classrooms. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 13 (2), 97-105.
Reynolds, G.A. & Perin, D. (2009). A comparison of text-structure and self-regulation strategies for composing from sources by middle-school students. Reading Psychology, 30, 265-300.
Goldstein, M.T. & Perin, D. (2008). Predicting performance in a community college content-area course from academic skill level. Community College Review, 36 (2), 89-115.
Rogevich, M. & Perin, D. (2008). Effects on science summarization of a reading comprehension intervention for adolescents with behavioral and attentional disorders. Exceptional Children, 74 (2), 135-154.
Perin, D. & Greenberg, D. (2007). Research-based reading instruction in an adult basic education program. Adult Basic Education and Literacy Journal, 1 (3), 123-132.
Graham, S. & Perin, D. (2007). A meta-analysis of writing instruction for adolescent students. Journal of Educational Psychology, 99 (3), 445-476.
Graham, S. & Perin, D. (2007). What we know, what we still need to know: Teaching adolescents to write. Scientific Studies of Reading, 11(4), 313-335.
Perin, D., Flugman, B. & Spiegel, S. (2006). Last Chance Gulch: Youth participation in urban adult basic education programs. Adult Basic Education, 16 (3), 171-188.
Perin, D. (2006). Academic progress of community college nursing aspirants: An institutional research profile. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 30, 657-670.
Perin, D. (2006). Can community colleges protect both access and standards? The problem of remediation. Teachers College Record, 108 (3), 339-373.
Perin, D. (2004). Remediation beyond developmental education: The use of learning assistance centers to increase academic preparedness in community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 28 (7), 559-582.
Perin, D., Keselman, A. & Monopoli, M. (2003). The academic writing of community college remedial students: Text and learner variables. Higher Education, 45 (1), 19-42.
Perin, D. (2002). The location of developmental education in community colleges: A discussion of the merits of mainstreaming vs. centralization. Community College Review, 30, 27-44.
Perin, D. (2002). Repetition and the informational writing of developmental students. Journal of Developmental Education, 26 (1), 2-4, 6, 8, 18.
Greenberg, D., Ehri, L. & Perin, D. (2002). Do adult literacy students make the same word-reading and spelling errors as children matched for word-reading age? Scientific Studies in Reading, 6 (3), 221-244.
Perin, D. (2001). Academic-occupational integration as a reform strategy for the community college: Classroom perspectives. Teachers College Record, 103 (2), 303-335.
Perin, D., De La Paz, S., Piantedosi, K.W. & Peercy, M.M. (under review). L2 writing skills in English-dominant educational settings: A critical research synthesis
Selected book chapters
Perin, D. (2014). Teaching secondary students to read and write in science In M.C. Hougen (Ed.). Fundamentals of literacy instruction and assessment, 6–12 (pp 165-178). Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes.
Perin, D. (2013). Best practices in teaching writing for college and career readiness. In Graham, S., MacArthur, C. & Fitzgerald, J. (Eds.). Best practices in writing (2nd ed.) (pp. 48-70). New York: Guilford Press.
Perin, D. (2012). Teaching academically underprepared students. In J. Levin and S. Kater (Eds.). Understanding community colleges (pp. 87-103). Part of Routledge/Taylor Francis “Core Concepts in Higher Education” series. New York, NY: Routledge.
Perin, D. & Charron, K. (2006). “Lights just click on every day.” Academic preparedness and remediation in community colleges. In T.R. Bailey and V.S. Morest (Eds.). Defending the community college equity agenda (pp 155-194). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins Press.
2006-2009. Postsecondary Content-Area Reading-Writing Intervention: Development and Determination of Potential Efficacy. In
2005-2007. Enhancing Teacher Preparation for Adolescent Literacy through Interdisciplinary Learning Communities.Carnegie Corporation of New York CUNY Graduate School, Center for Advanced Study in Education; all Principal Investigator or Project Director unless otherwise indicated.
2002 Evaluator, Youth in Adult Basic Education Project. U.S. Department of Education, Office of Vocational and Adult Education. Principal Investigators: Bert Flugman and Seymour Speigel.
1994-1997 Self-Directed Workplace Literacy Distance Learning for Developmental Disabilities Workers. U.S. Department of Education, National Workplace Literacy Program.
1994 Training in Fundamentals of Supervision and Leadership for OMH Power Plant and Maintenance Workers. SUNY Maritime College
1993-1994 Multi-Site Power Plant Communication Skills Project. SUNY Maritime College
1993-1995 Workforce Training Projects for Developmental Aides and Custodians: English as a Second Language, Basic Skills and Medical Terminology and Computation Skills Training. New York State Governor's Office of Employee Relations
1992-1993 Communication Skills Enhancement for Power Plant Employees. SUNY Maritime College
1992-1994 Workplace Literacy for Psychiatric Health Care Workers. U.S. Department of Education, National Workplace Literacy Program
1990-1991 Workplace Literacy Instruction for College Preparation of Health Care Workers. U.S. Department of Education, National Workplace Literacy Program
- American Educational Research Association
- American Psychological Association
- International Reading Association
- International Dyslexia Association
- Society for the Scientific Study of Reading
Selected Recent Presentations
- Reading Forum: Contextualization of reading skills. Professional development, Saginaw Valley State University. January 23, 2015.
- Developmental reading and writing skills: Directions for research and instruction. Student Success Symposium. Texas State University, San Marcos. January 5, 2015
- Relation of reading skill and source text to written summarization of low-achieving postsecondary students. Society for the Scientific Study of Reading. Santa Fe, NM, July 2014. Authors: Perin, D. & Lauterbach, M.
- Intensive training of educational psychology. (Professional development for educational psychology faculty in teacher training institutes, sponsored by Asia Development Bank). Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 16-21 June 2014
- Contextualizing reading comprehension strategies in the college classroom: STEM GPS, The Science Infusion Program and BCC Faculty Development. Bergen Community College, Paramus, NJ, April 17, 2014.
- Writing interventions for students with learning disabilities. Everyone Reading Annual Conference, New York, March 19, 2014
- Understanding L2 writing skills (poster). American Educational Research Association annual meeting, Division C, Philadelphia, PA, April 04, 2014. Authors: Perin, D., De La Paz, S., Worland, K., & Peercy, M.M.
- Adult literacy instruction: State of evidence on effective approaches (roundtable). American Educational Research Association annual meeting, Adult Literacy and Education SIG, Philadelphia, PA, April 05, 2014.
- Written summarization of low skilled postsecondary adults, Writing Research Across Borders Conference, Paris, France, February 19, 2014
- Understanding how children learn to write (keynote), and Writing instruction for primary and secondary students (session). Breaking Through Dyslexia, Dyslexia Trust of Kolkata. Conference on Dyslexia & Specific Learning Disability. December, 17-19, 2013, Kolkata, India.
- Contextualizing English instruction in science content: Approaches to implementation. Presentation to STEM GPS and Bergen Community College Faculty Development, November 12, 2013.
- LINCS Writing Study Circle (with Dianna Baycich): online professional development for adult basic education instructors, Literacy Information and Communication System https://community.lincs.ed.gov/, 3 cycles 3 different regions, 2014 and 2015.
- Automated Pyramid scoring of summaries using distributional semantics. Proceedings of the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (Short Paper; poster). August 4-9, 2013. Sofia, Bulgaria. Authors: Passonneau, R.J., Chen, E., Guo, W., Perin, D.
- Best practices and new ideas in teaching developmental reading and writing. Presentation to developmental educators, SUNY Orange County Community College, Middletown, NY, April 12, 2013.
- Remedial/ developmental education. Presentation to Workshop in Pedagogical Research Design, City University of New York, January 14, 2013