Thomas RogersSkip to content Skip to main navigation
The Suburban Promise of Brown
The Nassau BOCES Board of Education appointed Dr. Thomas Rogers as its District Superintendent and Chief Executive Officer in January, 2010. Under Dr. Rogers’ leadership Nassau BOCES has:
- Raised more than $7 million in external funding including $5.5 million in competitive grants, over $1 million in philanthropy, and half a million dollars in other grant funding.
- Launched ground-breaking new initiatives including:
- The Doshi STEM Program in partnership with Cold Spring Harbor Labs and Brookhaven National Labs – Long Island’s first STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) school.
- The Center for On-Line Learning which hosts virtual courses for students, educators and adults – including an on-line Advanced Placement program underwritten by a $2 million competitive grant.
- An advanced Security Service in conjunction with Nassau County Police that makes inexpensive centralized monitoring and intrusion detection available to schools while providing the police with live video during crisis situations.
- An innovative partnership with SUNY (State University of New York) Farmingdale underwritten by a $2.5 million competitive “P-TECH” grant to create a 6-year high school program culminating in an Associates’ degree in technology.
- A partnership with Harvard University’s Strategic Data Project to leverage student achievement data to improve curriculum and instruction county-wide.
In addition, as chair of the state District Superintendents’ policy and governance committee, Dr. Rogers led a 2-year legislative effort that resulted in the adoption of 2 new laws favorable to BOCES statewide, and two additional pieces of legislation awaiting the Governor’s signature.
About Nassau BOCES
As the largest educational services cooperative in New York, Nassau BOCES’ 4,000 staff members serve the 56 school districts and 220,000 students of Nassau County with nationally-recognized programs in special education, career and technical education, STEM education, outdoor education and the arts. Nassau BOCES also provides state of the art services to school districts, including: classroom and office technology, data warehousing and analysis, in-service training for staff, and cooperative purchasing as well as a variety of literacy, career and technical programs for adult learners.
About Dr. Rogers
In addition to his role as CEO of Nassau BOCES, as District Superintendent, he serves as the statutory representative of the Commissioner of Education and the State Education Department in the Nassau County Supervisory District.Dr. Rogers was previously the Executive Director of the New York State Council of School Superintendents, the statewide professional association for chief school officers. During his tenure, The Council launched the “Education is a Civil Right” campaign to improve public education equity and created the Leadership for Educational Achievement Foundation (LEAF) professional development academy.
Dr. Rogers received doctoral and master’s degrees in Educational Leadership at Columbia University Teachers College and a B.S. in Biochemistry from the University at Buffalo. He serves as co-chair of the College Presidents’—Superintendents’ Partnership, and sits on the executive committee of the Long Island Arts Alliance.