Bilingual Speech-Language Pathology Institute – NOW ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE
May 19 - Dec 3, 2017
May 19, 2017 - December 3, 2017
For more than 21 years, the Bilingual Extension Institute has prepared bilingual speech-language pathologists with the specialized knowledge and clinical skills needed to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services to children and adolescents.
Based at Teachers College, Columbia University for the past 14 years, the Institute is led by TC Professor of Practice Catherine Crowley from the Communication and Sciences and Disorders program, and boasts an eight-person faculty, including seven master clinicians and mentors.
- Requirements: Discipline-specific and open only to bilingual speech and language providers.
- Academic Credit: Offered as a credit-bearing, non-degree program. Students receive six graduate-level credits from Teachers College, Columbia University through two courses focused on assessment and treatment for pre-school and school-age children.
Beginning in May 2017, the Institute will be offered online as well as in-person—with the same expert faculty teaching both formats.
- Earn an advanced certificate in Bilingual Speech-Language Pathology (BSLP)
- Meet the requirements for a New York State Education Department bilingual extension certificate (for holders of the NYSED TSLD or TSHH only)
- Take advantage of a flexible, asynchronous format, with opportunities for live access to master teachers and practitioners.
The first three-credit course begins in May and finishes at the end of July. The second three-credit course begins in August and ends in October.
- Fulfills all requirements of the New York State Education Department (NYSED) bilingual extension certificate program approved by the NYSED for non-matriculated, non-degree seeking students at Teachers College (with the exception of NYSED BEA, the language proficiency test).
The Institute begins in May and meets at Teachers College, Columbia University in New York City for six weekends through December.
- Session dates: May 5, 6, 7; June 9, 10, 11; Sept 15, 16, 17; Oct 13, 14, 15; Nov 17, 18, 19; Dec 1, 2, 3
- Days/Time: Fridays, 6:00-8:30 pm; Saturdays, 9:00 am-4:00 pm; Sundays, 9:30 am-3:00 pm
In-person Bilingual Extension Institute application available at https://apply.tc.edu/apply/
Tuition: 2017 tuition for the in-person and online formats is $6,350 (plus a non-refundable deposit of $350.00).
Email: Catherine Crowley Crowley@tc.columbia.edu
- New Applicants can start an application by creating an account using this link: https://apply.tc.edu/apply/
- Once the account is created, an applicant will be asked to "Select an application
Select 2017 Non-Degree
- An applicant should select the corresponding term based on the option sought:
2017 Spring Non-Degree - Online Bilingual Extension Institute
2017 Summer Non-Degree - On-Campus Bilingual Extension Institute
- Screen shots are provided below:
Online Bilingual Extension Institute
On-Campus Bilingual Extension Institute