Continuing students at Teachers College have likely fulfilled many of the necessary requirements needed to continue receiving financial aid at the institution. However, there are some things that all students need to complete prior to the start of every aid year.
Review the following information to ensure that your financial aid will not be delayed.
- You will not need to complete a new scholarship application. Generally, returning students do not need to complete a new scholarship application if they have completed one in the past for the degree.
- If you have not completed the TC Scholarship Application, you should contact our office.
- View our respective pages to learn about fellowships & grants that may require supplemental steps.
- If you have been offered a scholarship award as a continuing student, you will receive an e-mail notification once the award details become available. Please also refer to any terms and conditions that apply to your scholarship award.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Unlike the TC Scholarship Application and your loan requirements, the FAFSA does not renew. You will need to complete a new one for each aid year that you wish to receive federal aid. Visit www.fafsa.ed.gov to get started.
- Ensure that you use TC's Federal School Code (G03979) on your FAFSA. We also encourage you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, if possible.
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR), verify that all your information is correct, and address any errors or issues that you find.
- Complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA if you intend to enroll and utilize federal aid for the Summer 2019 semester. The deadline to submit the 2018-2019 FAFSA is June 30th, 2019.
- Complete the 2019-2020 FAFSA if you intend to enroll and utilize federal aid for the Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 semester.
Award Letter Review
Our office will send you an award letter that may comprise scholarships, grants, fellowships, loans, and/or Federal Work-Study.
We typically begin sending award letters via e-mail in mid-March. Check your TC Gmail account on a regular basis.
If you receive another form of aid at a later time, you will receive a revised award letter.
Accept Your Aid
Your award letter contains a link to accept your aid, including directions and additional requirements. Note that general scholarships are automatically accepted, while loans and Federal Work-Study have different acceptance procedures. Please review the requirements for accepting financial aid for each award on the TC Portal carefully.
- Go to the "Courses" tab, scroll down to "Financial Aid Requirements,” and select the appropriate aid year.
- A red flag indicates that the item is outstanding; a green checkmark indicates that the item has been satisfied.
- You can accept the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan only in the TC Portal. The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan will require you to complete supplemental steps such as a credit check renewal through www.studentloans.gov.
- Stipends will be automatically accepted and processed on your behalf when class begins.
- We strongly encourage you to accept your loans two to three weeks before classes begin.
Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Notes (MPNs)
Your Loan Entrance Counseling automatically renews. If you used federal loans in a previous aid year or semester at TC, you do not need to complete entrance counseling again. Your MPNs automatically renew for up to 10 years, except for those who have used an endorser for a prior Graduate PLUS Loan.
Contact our office if you have questions regarding the information that appears in your award letter.