Current Students

Continuing Students

Continuing students at Teachers College have likely fulfilled many of the necessary requirements needed to continue receiving financial aid at the institution. However, there are some things that all students need to complete prior to the start of every aid year.

Review the following information to ensure that your financial aid will not be delayed.

Scholarship Applications

  • You will not need to complete a new scholarship application. Generally, returning students do not need to complete a new scholarship application if they have completed one in the past for the degree.
  • If you have not completed the TC Scholarship Application, you should contact our office.
  • View our respective pages to learn about fellowships & grants that may become available throughout the academic year. Some applications will require supplemental steps.
  • If you have been offered a scholarship award as a continuing student, you will receive an e-mail notification once the award details become available. Please also refer to any terms and conditions that apply to your scholarship award.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Unlike the TC Scholarship Application and your loan requirements, the FAFSA does not renew. You will need to complete a new one for each aid year that you wish to receive federal aid. Visit to get started.

  • Ensure that you use TC's Federal School Code (G03979) on your FAFSA. We also encourage you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, if possible.
  • Review your Student Aid Report (SAR), verify that all your information is correct, and address any errors or issues that you find.

Complete the 2019-2020 FAFSA if you intend to enroll and utilize federal aid for the Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 semester. Complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA if you intend to enroll and utilize federal aid for the Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 semester.

Award Letter Review

Our office will send you an award letter that may comprise scholarships, grants, fellowships, loans, and/or Federal Work-Study.

  • We typically begin sending award letters for continuing students beginning mid-April. Check your TC Gmail account on a regular basis for any updates.

  • If you receive another form of aid at a later time, you will receive a revised award notification and any updates are viewable within the myTC Portal.

Accept Your Aid

Your award details within the myTC Portal contains a link to accept your aid, including directions and any additional requirements. Note that general scholarships are automatically accepted on your behalf, while loans and Federal Work-Study have different acceptance procedures. Please review the requirements for accepting financial aid for each award on the TC Portal carefully.

  • Go to the "Student Resources" tab, scroll down to "Financial Aid Requirements” and select the appropriate aid year.
    • A red flag indicates that the item is outstanding; a green checkmark indicates that the item has been satisfied.
    • You can accept the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan only in the TC Portal. The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan will require you to complete supplemental steps such as a credit check renewal through
  • Scholarships and stipends will be automatically accepted and processed on your behalf when classes begin.
  • We strongly encourage you to accept your loans two to three weeks before classes begin.
  • For details regarding payment deadlines as well as important disbursement information, visit the Office of the Bursar website.

Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Notes (MPNs)

Your Loan Entrance Counseling automatically renews. If you used federal loans in a previous aid year or semester at TC, you do not need to complete entrance counseling again. Your MPNs automatically renew for up to 10 years, except for those who have used an endorser for a prior Graduate PLUS Loan. 

Contact our office if you have questions regarding the information that appears in your award letter.

Back to skip to quick links