New students who have been admitted for the following fall term will receive their award letters beginning in mid-February. Students who have been admitted to programs with a rolling admissions deadline will receive their award letters on a rolling basis. Continuing students will begin receiving aid information toward the end of the spring semester.

The TC Scholarship application is integrated into your application for admission. We recommend that students complete the application by the priority deadline established by the Office of Admission. You must answer “Yes” to the question about whether or not you are interested in being considered for the TC Scholarship.

For continuing students, the TC Scholarship application will remain active throughout the duration of your studies. If you have completed a scholarship application in the past, you do not need to complete another one for the entire duration of your program at TC.

Please note that there are designated special scholarships with separate application deadlines that require supplemental documents and materials.

No. After you click "Submit," you cannot return to the application. Leaving the questions blank will not make you completely ineligible for scholarship, though your scholarship application may lack additional details that would be important in the awarding process.

If you have submitted an incomplete scholarship application, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at financialaid@tc.columbia.edu for more information.

Scholarship decisions are made on a yearly basis, so being granted a scholarship in one academic year does not guarantee that you will receive it for the next academic year. Unless you have been informed from the initial receipt of your scholarship that it is a multi-year award, you should not assume that you will receive it again.

You may adjust your scholarship award across semesters in a single academic year by using a Scholarship Redistribution Form.

You can notify our office that you are receiving an outside scholarship. The check itself should be sent to the Office of the Bursar.

In this situation, you should send an e-mail to financialaid@tc.edu to discuss your options. You likely will already have a completed scholarship application on record, but you may be required to submit additional documentation to our office to be reconsidered. Note that, however, a reconsideration does not guarantee an award made.

If you are receiving a scholarship and drop a course, your scholarship points that paid for the dropped class will be reversed. You will not be able to enroll in a course, have your scholarship disburse to pay for it, then drop the class and keep the scholarship money.

Tuition scholarships at the college are also non-refundable unless otherwise stated.

Generally, full funding at TC will entail a student receiving enough scholarship funding to cover all of their tuition expenses for an academic year. In some instances, students may receive stipends to help cover additional expenses. While Teachers College considers each student for scholarship awarding based on the TC scholarship application, we cannot guarantee full funding to any student. We also cannot guarantee that if you were to be fully funded upon your initial term of entry that it would continue throughout the entire duration of your program. At the master’s level, it is unlikely that you will receive full funding.

Scholarships at TC are academic merit based. Your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and all other application materials along with your scholarship application should be outstanding documents that demonstrate your strong capabilities as a student.

An award letter is a document that we provide to students detailing their aid offers (scholarships and/or federal aid) for the year. The letter will provide you with terms and conditions of any scholarships you receive, information about the cost of attendance, and directions on how to accept or decline your offers.

Paper award letters will not be sent. If you are a new student, your award letter will be sent to the e-mail address that you used on your initial application to Teachers College. After you accept your offer of admission, you will be given access to your TC G-mail account. After the TC G-mail account is activated, all official correspondence from our office will be sent there and your personal e-mail account will be phased out.

Tuition, Fees and Enrollment Status

Teachers College strives to collaborate with students to realize their educational goals. If you are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID or are concerned about your ability to pay your account balance by the due date, the Office of the Bursar offers the opportunity to pay in installments through a deferred payment plan. Or, you can contact the office to discuss your student account. You also may contact your program’s Financial Aid Liaison for further advice and assistance.


There is no in-state or out-of-state tuition rate. With the exception of a few special cohort programs, every student will pay the same per-credit-hour tuition rate. The tuition rate is also the same for master's and doctoral students. All students, regardless of degree level, will be charged the same per-credit-hour tuition rate. Click here for information tuition and fees as well as the cost of attendance.

Some financial aid packages are created as early as February for the upcoming academic year. At that time, we do not know what your enrollment will be. Therefore, all students with the exception of some special cohorts are given the standard half-time (5-6.5 billable credit hours per semester) budget. We allow you to update this by completing a Repackaging Form if you are a three-quarter time (7-8.5 billable credit hours per semester) or full-time (9+ billable credit hours per semester) student. Please note that you must also update our office with the Repackaging Form if you will be enrolled in less than 5 billable credit hours per semester (ex: you have a Certificate of Equivalency/COE) because this will affect your aid eligibility.

A billable credit hour is a credit hour that you are required to pay for. It would appear as a charge on your student account. A Certificate of Equivalency (COE) is not a billable credit hour because you do not pay for it. To request a COE or to learn more about them, please reach out to the Office of the Registrar and your academic advisor.

Please note that your financial aid cost of attendance will change if you are enrolled in COEs as opposed to billable credit hours and this will impact the dollar amount of financial aid you can receive. You are encouraged to contact our office to discuss your specific situation.

You should contact our office if you intend to drop a class. In some cases, it can make you totally ineligible for aid. In others, we are required to return financial aid that was previously received for the semester on your behalf. We will review at your enrollment record and your aid package to give you a concrete answer.

If the courses you plan to take at Columbia or Barnard are a required part of your academic program and will be charged to your Teachers College student account, then you can use your financial aid to pay for those courses. However, if they are not required by your academic program, you are unable to use your financial aid to cover them. This is especially true for students utilizing federal aid because you are not permitted to receive federal aid at two different institutions at the same time. For students receiving scholarship aid from Teachers College, please keep in mind that any scholarship aid from Teachers College may only cover Columbia and Barnard tuition at the current TC per-credit rate, which may result in an out-of-pocket expense if the other school has a higher per-credit cost for tuition.

No. If you are to receive financial aid of any kind (ie: scholarship or federal aid), we will send it to you via an award letter regardless of whether or not you have accepted your admission offer. We only create award packages for admitted students, so if you have not received an admission offer, no financial aid award will be available for you.

A revised award letter is sent when a change is made to your original aid package. This may mean that an additional scholarship, federal aid award, or other forms of financial aid offers have been offered to you after an initial award letter notification.

Because the financial aid process is performed on a rolling basis each year, students will receive revisions to their award letters if a new financial aid award is added to their existing record. This will be sent via an e-mail notification.

New admits from select programs will receive a scholarship offer alongside their admission offer. In general, however, our new students will begin receiving award letters in February 2021. You will be notified by e-mail once an award is available for view through your Admitted Student Portal or myTC Portal. Award letters will continue to be sent throughout the spring and summer in anticipation of the upcoming year as any financial aid award is generated or updated through an institutional/departmental scholarship and/or the FAFSA. Please note, however, that scholarship awards are not guaranteed.

Continuing students will begin receiving award letters toward the end of the spring semester. You will be notified by e-mail once an award is available for view through your myTC Portal. Award letters will continue to be sent throughout the spring and summer in anticipation of the upcoming year as any financial aid award is generated or updated through an institutional/departmental scholarship and/or the FAFSA. Please note, however, that scholarship awards are not guaranteed from one academic year to the next and do not renew unless otherwise noted in the award terms and conditions.

You will only receive a financial aid award letter if you have been offered any form of financial aid at Teachers College. This typically only includes any scholarships, stipends or other fellowship awards becasue international students are not eligible to submit a FAFSA to receive federal financial aid.

Scholarship decisions are rolling and can be made at any time, so an e-mail notification will be sent to you in the event that you do receive a scholarship or an updated scholarship at anytime.


The TC Federal School Code is G03979. While we are affiliated with Columbia University, we operate independently and therefore have our own school code. Any FAFSA that does not have TC's school code included will not be downloaded or processed.

You should keep in mind that the summer term is the last term of each academic year. For example, Summer 2021 is the final term of the 2020-2021 academic year. Students who plan to start in the summer should complete two FAFSAs. If you plan to start at Teachers College in Summer 2021 and continue into Fall 2021, Spring 2022, and/or Summer 2022, you will complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA and the 2021-2022 FAFSA. Remember that each fall term marks the beginning of a new academic year.

If you indicated on the FAFSA that you "will file" taxes and estimated your income for the previous year, the tax filing status update requirement may appear on your requirements screen. This requirement serves as a reminder for you to update your FAFSA when you complete your taxes. Although your federal loan processing will not be canceled or delayed due to this requirement, you may not be eligible for need-based federal aid programs such as Federal Work Study without up-to-date financial information.

You should use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your financial information onto your FAFSA if possible.

For New Students: We recommend for you to complete your FAFSA after you submit your admissions application to TC - this will allow for our office to generate a federal aid award for you after you have been admitted to your program. It can take up to two weeks for us to receive new FAFSA records from the federal database. The same goes for any corrections or updates you make to your FAFSA. Check to make sure that you used the TC Federal School Code (G03979) on the FAFSA. In this case, you should wait about two weeks before contacting us to confirm the receipt of the updated FAFSA record.

For Continuing Students: You may begin submitting your FAFSA for the upcoming year beginning October 1st, but our office will usually begin notifying you of your federal aid awards for the upcoming year in April.

The deadline to submit the 2021-2022 FAFSA is June 30th, 2022.

There is no way to alter the information found on your previous year’s tax returns, so it is not possible to change your EFC. If you believe you have extenuating circumstances, you may come into our office to speak with a counselor. Because there is limited need-based funding for graduate students, a change in the EFC does not usually have an impact on your financial aid.

No. Graduate students are considered independent, regardless of age. You should only put your (and your spouse’s, if married) information on the FAFSA.

Yes. You should make sure that your name on the FAFSA matches what is on the TC system and vice versa. The name reported must always be your legal name. If you do not use your legal name, it can cause mismatches with other government agencies such as the Social Security Administration when your application is being processed. Also, make sure that you enter all of your information carefully and correctly to avoid delays.

Federal Requirements

Starting in Fall 2021, you must be enrolled in at least five credits (or equivalent) per semester in a degree-seeking program. You must not be in default on previous student loans and you must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen. You must also be making satisfactory academic progress. Please visit the studentaid.gov for more information.

No. You must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program to be considered for federal aid. To apply for a degree program, contact the Teachers College Office of Admission. Certificate programs (including the coaching certificate) are generally not eligible for federal aid.

You fulfill those requirements at www.studentaid.gov. This is the same site you will use to complete the Graduate PLUS Loan request/credit check, if you plan to use that loan. You will need to include the Teachers College Federal School Code (G03979) on these documents. Note that each loan has its own MPN.

No. You do not have to do Loan Entrance Counseling again. Only one entrance counseling session is required for both the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.

If you have a PLUS loan denial, you may be required to complete a PLUS credit counseling.

No. While we recommend that you complete Financial Awareness Counseling, you are not required to do so. It will not satisfy the Loan Entrance Counseling requirement.


Scholarships and fellowships are automatically accepted for you. As of July 15th 2021, students are now able to accept their award package for the 2021-2022 Academic Year. Federal Work-Study funds cannot be accepted until you find a position via the TC HR page. Graduate assistantships are not usually awarded automatically, but you can browse the TC HR page to see available openings. Detailed directions on how to accept your aid can be found on our Accept Your Aid page.

No. You are not required to accept loans if you do not want them. You may submit a Federal Loan Change Form to our office if you want to decline your loans.

You will need to complete a Federal Loan Exit Counseling requirement if:

  • you have borrowed under any of the federal loan programs (Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Nurse Faculty Loan) and are expecting to graduate in a given semester.
  • you drop below half-time (5 credits) of enrollment in a given semester. 

The Loan Exit Counseling session will provide you with information about repayment plans and what could happen if you do not repay your loans. If you are a doctoral student who is earning your master’s degree along the way, you will need to complete Exit Counseling when you finish your master’s degree even though you are not leaving TC. The Unsubsidized, PLUS Loan, and TEACH Grant Exit Counselings are available at studentaid.gov.

Student loans are disbursed accordingly based on your enrollment periods. Typically, students who are enrolled across Fall and Spring semesters will receive half of their total disbursement after the add/drop period of each term. Students who are single-term students (ie: Fall only) will have two disbursements in a single term, and students who are entering for the Spring or Summer term may have loan disbursement scheduled accordingly with their term(s) of enrollment. The Bursar's Office will also list information regarding disbursement dates each term here.

Student loans will only disburse once you accept your loan and complete loan requirements (such as entrance counseling, MPN, and/or Grad PLUS credit check) for the respective loan funding. You must be enrolled for at least half-time (5 credits) or equivalent and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive loan funds in each given semester.

Because every student is given a standard package based on an assumed half-time (billable) enrollment, you may be entitled to additional aid based on your enrollment if you are a three-quarter time student or a full-time student. To update your enrollment with us, complete a Repackaging Form so that we can make the appropriate changes to your record. A repackaging request generally will cause changes in your Cost of Attendance and will make most students eligible for additional Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan funds.

You will first need to update your enrollment with our office with a Repackaging Form. Then, you can submit a Federal Loan Change Form to our office to increase, decrease or decline your federal aid funding. 

Please note that you will first need to maximize your Direct Unsubsidized loan offer before increases on your PLUS funding will be processed. Increases on your PLUS funding will only be processed if you have a valid credit check on file. If your credit check has expired after 180 days (6 months) of the initial application, you will need to renew it at studentaid.gov. Your endorser (if applicable) must also complete an addendum for the increase requested and a new MPN must be completed.

Please contact our office if you wish to discuss your loan eligibility.

Yes, there is. You are eligible to request an increase on your student loans up until 1 week before the last day of classes for any given semester in which you are enrolled in. Loan increase requests must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid before the conclusion of each academic term (Fall, Spring and Summer); loan increase requests submitted after a term has concluded will not be approved. You will be eligible to return your student loans within 45 days post-disbursement. Please visit our office and meet with a counselor should you have the need to return your student loan.

The US Department of Education has made changes to the Federal Perkins Loan program and it is no longer available. If you are graduating and used a Perkins Loan in a prior academic year at Teachers College, all Perkins-related questions should be directed to the Office of the Bursar.

Yes. Although you are not expected to repay loans borrowed at Teachers College until after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment status, we recommend students to make payments toward their interest while still at school.

There are grace periods associated with certain types of loans that you borrow or may have borrowed at TC or another institution, and it's important to contact your loan servicer to see if any documents may be required in order for you to maintain your loan deferment status while at the institution. A loan deferment or enrollment verification form can be completed by the Office of the Registrar.

You may log onto the National Student Loan Data System to find the contact information of your servicer.

The private loan process is an independent one. We do not have ties with any specific lenders, so there is not one lender that we recommend over another. We encourage students to do significant research to find which private loan lender works best for them. The lender will submit a certification request to our office through the Electronic Loan Management system. If you need a co-signer on your loan, you should ensure that the co-signer does not have an adverse credit history.

If you wish to inquire about an existing private loan request, please contact our office and indicate the name of the lender, amount borrowed and specify the term in which the loan request will be for.

International students are not eligible for federal aid. International students are eligible to receive scholarships at Teachers College and you can participate in assistantships. International students can also use private scholarships and loans. Most private loan lenders will ask that you have a US citizen co-sign the loan. You may also contact the Office of International Students and Scholars, who may be able to give you guidance on ways to secure external scholarships. The Office of International Students and Scholars will also be able to provide you with additional guidance on becoming eligible for employment in the United States.

Refund Checks

A refund check is created when the aid that you accept exceeds the charges on your student account. It creates a surplus that will appear as a negative balance on your TC student account. The Office of the Bursar (not the Office of Financial Aid) will generate the refund check. We encourage you to sign up for eRefund through your TC Portal, which allows the refund to be deposited into your bank account. The contact information for the Office of the Bursar can be found here.

The Office of the Bursar processes refund checks. The Office of the Bursar will not issue refund checks until after the add/drop period is over for the given semester. We recommend that students have themselves financially established for at least one month after classes begin. Details on when to expect your refunds may be found here.

Generally, a negative balance on your student account indicates the amount that you will receive in a refund check. That number may change to a zero after the Office of the Bursar generates your refund check or eRefund.

It is up to you on how you would like to use your federal financial aid refund, but typically students will use the refund to cover any educational, personal or living expenses incurred while being a student at TC. Please note that a federal financial aid refund should not be used towards unrelated educational expenses.

If you accepted a loan amount that exceeded your charges and you choose to keep the refund check, you should do so with the knowledge that the money will be accruing interest. If you do not wish to keep the refund, you may return the full or partial amount to the Office of the Bursar, and then come to the Office of Financial Aid to do a Loan Return Form. The Loan Return Form is located in our office. Borrowers have 45 days from the time of disbursement to return money to their loan lender via our office. After 45 days, the borrower will have to contact the lender directly to discuss how to return the money.

You may be eligible for a financial aid book advance during the first two weeks of classes before the add/drop period of the Fall and Spring semester. To be eligible, you must accept a total federal aid offer in excess of your outstanding tuition balance, which will result in a future refund for the Fall and Spring semesters. In addition, you must have all loan acceptance requirements (ie: Entrace Counseling, MPN and/or Loan Application/Credit Check) completed and linked to your financial aid record prior to the first day of classes each semester, and meet all federal aid eligibility (ie: enrollment and SAP) to be eligible. Students who do not receive a book advance will receive their refund after the add/drop period each semester.

Summer Aid

Yes. Financial aid is available for summer courses as long as you are enrolled in at least six credit hours during the summer. However, starting in Summer 2022, the minimum amount of credit enrollment needed for financial aid eligibility will be 5 credits. It does not matter how the five total credit hours are distributed among the Summer A and B terms as long as the total number of credit hours for the whole summer comes to five. You may do all five in A, all six in B, or have them split between the two summer sessions.

Summer aid applications are available in our office and on our website in late-April. You can complete this application and tell us how many hours you plan to take during the summer. Visit our office or call us toward the end of the spring semester to discuss your options for summer aid. Most students who take summer courses pay for them with federal student loans. The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is used most often in the summer. If you have remaining Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility, you can use it during the summer.

Disbursements will still occur in two halves as necessary for all federal loans. Students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours before the funds pay out. If you are a Summer A student, your aid will disburse twice in Summer A and your refund will come after the second Summer A disbursement. If you are a Summer B student, your aid will disburse twice in Summer B and your refund will come after the second Summer B disbursement. If you are a Summer A and Summer B student, your aid will disburse once in Summer A and once in Summer B and your refund will come after the Summer B disbursement.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides jobs for graduate students with financial need. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level provided to Teachers College. FWS jobs pay $15-$16 per hour and you cannot work more than 20 hours per week during the academic session, or 30 hours per week during breaks. The money you earn is to be used at your discretion. You will typically receive up to $9,000 per year (not per semester) in FWS funds.

No. When the Federal Work-Study funds appear on your award package, they are only in an offered status. You will not have access to begin earning from your FWS funds until you find a Federal Work-Study position and complete all the necessary on-boarding steps. Locating a position is an independent process.

No. You need to find your job through the Teachers College Human Resources page, unless a TC staff member directly offered you a job. There are a few approved off-campus Federal Work-Study sites, but generally speaking, TC students will have to use their Federal Work-Study funds to work at TC and approved off-campus sites.

No. You can work up to 20 hours per week as a Federal Work-Study student. However, there are certain times of the year (summers and between terms) when you can work up to 30 hours per week.

Possibly. You would want to make sure that you answered “Yes” to the question regarding Federal Work-
Study on the FAFSA. Federal Work-Study funds are not guaranteed to every student because the funding is limited.

For students who are not initially awarded with work study funding and subsequently updated their FAFSA to be considered, submit a Federal Work Study/TEACH Change Form waitlist request to be considered.

No. Leaving your Federal Work-Study funds in offered status will not affect the disbursement of other aid, nor will it accrue interest since it is not a loan. If you go for a full semester without using your Federal Work-Study funds, we may reduce your offered amount by half. For example, most students are offered $7,000 in Federal Work-Study funds to be used for the entire academic year (fall, spring, and if the student is enrolled, summer). If you do not use your Federal Work-Study funding at all during the fall term, we will reduce your Federal Work-Study eligibility to $3,500 to be used for the spring and/or summer term(s). If you do not use your Federal Work-Study funds, they will simply get cancelled. It will not impact you negatively. You will be able to apply for Federal Work-Study funds again for the next year.

The funds will come to you in the form of a taxed, bi-weekly paycheck or a direct deposit. Your earned Federal Work-Study money will not automatically pay any charges on your student account, nor will it be used to pay your tuition. The money you earn is yours to use as you see fit.

Yes, as long as the total weekly hours worked for all Federal Work-Study jobs combined does not exceed 20 hours, or 30 hours during breaks and summers. Students can hold a maximum of 2 positions under work study.

Most students find their Federal Work-Study positions through the Teachers College Human Resources page. You may also find them through networking or through part-time job fairs held on campus.

You will need to come to Office of Financial Aid to collect your authorization paperwork. All hired students must complete a contract for every new aid year and for every Federal Work-Study job they hold. New employees (1st job in any capacity at TC) must complete a PageUp onboarding offer and complete the I-9 employment authorization process with the Office of Human Resources. Continuing employees (had a previous job in any capacity at TC) may need to complete rehire PageUp paperwork. Please note that all onboarding steps must be complete prior to your job start date - otherwise, your position will be terminated and your check payments will be delayed.

Assistantships & Fellowships

There are four types of assistantships/fellowships here at TC: Research Assistantship (RA), Teaching Assistantship (TA), Administrative Fellowship (AF) and Doctoral Research Fellowships (DRF). Most administrative assistantships are found through the TC Human Resources page. Most research and teaching assistantships are found through networking and some programs will have program-specific assistantship/internship fairs that will help you secure an assistantship position. Doctoral Research Fellowships are typically appointed positions and may not have an open application process.

Research and Teaching Assistantships will pay with scholarship points (up to nine per year for Fall, Spring and Summer) based on semester(s) of appointment. Some assistantships will also provide you with a stipend.

Doctoral Research Fellowship offers will typically depend on the position you have been offered, but may grant up to 24 points for the duration of your appointment.

Yes, as long as the total weekly hours worked for all jobs combined does not exceed 27 hours. You cannot hold another position in such a case.

You are not able to hold two graduate assistantships at the same time.

No. While you will need to be an admitted student to participate in an assistantship, you must apply for assistantships separately.


Grant-in-aid applicants must demonstrate considerable loan indebtedness incurred while at Teachers College and have previously received little or no scholarship assistance from Teachers College, including tuition exemption. Faculty recommendations in support of grant-in-aid applicants are required. The application can be found here.

Yes. International students are required to seek approval from the International Student Advisor.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Beginning July 2011, federal regulations required all institutions to establish, publish, and apply standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for federal financial aid eligibility. The purpose of establishing, publishing, and applying SAP standards is to ensure that recipients of federal financial aid not only demonstrate financial need but also are making satisfactory progress toward degree completion.

Federal regulations require that Teachers College track the academic progress of all students from the first date of enrollment at Teachers College, whether or not federal aid was received. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for federal aid is evaluated at the end of each term after the grading deadline for all students.

If you do not want federal loans, Federal Work-Study, or federal grants, you are not required to go through the Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid to temporarily waive the requirement. Should you want federal aid in the future, you will have to submit an appeal.

No. Outstanding Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements do not affect scholarships.

If you have a warning, your federal aid will not be affected at this time but you have one subsequent semester to rectify the situation. If it is not resolved after the semester is over, your Satisfactory Academic Progress status will become denied. Students who are denied financial aid because of their Satisfactory Academic Progress status will have to submit an appeal form to our office in an attempt to have their aid reinstated. You may contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

You will need to contact our office - we will provide you with the appeal form and instructions to complete it. Once a decision is available, you will receive appropriate e-mail notifications from our office.


There is a Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals committee that will review your appeal. The committee meets one to two times per month, depending on the volume of appeals. You will receive a decision shortly after the committee meets.

We have a comprehensive Satisfactory Academic Progress page that will cover the details for both master’s and doctoral level students.


View our Tuition and Fees page for cost of attendance and to see the tuition and fees associated with attending TC. If you are in a cohort program, you may have special tuition rates. You may contact your Financial Aid liaison or our office at financialaid@tc.edu should you have any questions regarding special cohort programs.

A financial aid package consists of any aid you are offered here at Teachers College. It may include scholarships, grants, loans, or assistantships, depending on what you have applied for and what you are eligible for.

Teachers College does not have uniform financial aid packages that go to every student who is granted admission to the school. This is true in terms of both scholarship and federal aid. Because every program and every student is different, we cannot provide an exact picture of your financial aid package before you are admitted to the institution.

 Yes. Our office is only authorized to administer financial aid awards for students enrolled in at least 1 credit (or credit equivalent).

Depending on the type of award a student is given, eligibility based on enrollment for those funds will vary. Federal student aid awards require at least 6 credits or equivalent, while stipends require at least 1 credit or equivalent of enrollment to disburse. Most scholarships will disburse according to your enrollment and registration, with the exception of any refundable scholarship awards. All awards, with the exception of private loans, will require students to be enrolled in a degree seeking program.

We do accept walk-in visits. However, if you would like to meet with a specific counselor, you should contact us ahead of time to verify the counselor availability to schedule an appointment.

No. We cannot disburse aid from the next aid year to cover your balance for the current aid year. We recommend that you routinely check your student account on your TC Portal and thoroughly review all correspondence that comes from our office. Doing so will help keep you up to date on important dates, deadlines, processes, and changes.

Your TC ID number is assigned to you when you apply for admission to the College. It is also on any official correspondence you receive from campus offices. It can also be located through your TC Portal. When you are logged into your TC Portal, click the TC Services tab. You will see a heading entitled “Personal Information.” Under that heading is a link called “My TC ID Number.” This screen will display your TC ID Number. It is a quick, safe, and easy way to look up your information in our systems. Have your TC ID number ready when you contact our office.

No. You must contact the Office of Academic Computing. Their contact information can be found here.

We are mandated by the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to maintain student record confidentiality. We can only discuss the specifics of your financial aid account with you. However, if you would like to authorize other individuals to have access to your financial aid account details, you can submit a signed FERPA Form to our office letting us know the name(s) of the authorized person(s) and how they are related to you. This form is for our office only. Other campus offices may have their own required processes/forms needed to release your information to third parties. Contact our office to get a copy of our FERPA Form.

Back to skip to quick links