The Community Language Program (CLP) at Teachers College, Columbia University, provides English and foreign language instruction to adult learners of diverse nationalities and backgrounds in the Columbia University and surrounding New York communities. The CLP serves as an education lab school, where M.A. students in Applied Linguistics and in TESOL complete their practical teacher training. Also, at times, doctoral students and faculty in AL/TESOL conduct second language research in the CLP.
- Attend a language school you can afford
- Choose from morning and night classes that fit your schedule
- Work with teachers dedicated to academic excellence
- Join a vibrant and diverse language learning community
- Enjoy the cultural richness and diversity of New York City
What You Need to Know
- Summer 2022 CLP classes will be a mixture of in-person and online offerings.
- Students who attend in-person classes in summer 2022 will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID, which includes proof of at least 1 booster shot.
- Online classes are held synchronously (at the time that the class is scheduled)
- Online classes are held on TC Zoom. Click here to learn more about using Zoom for your classes.
- As of April 2020, placement testing is done at the student's home on a laptop or desktop computer. The test cannot be done on a phone or iPad/tablet.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older
- The CLP does not provide visa sponsorship or credits because it is a part-time, non-credit program
- Class size is dependent on enrollment and will range from 8 to about 18 students. The CLP reserves the right to cancel any classes due to low enrollment or other circumstances beyond its control
- Students are only accepted during the designated registration periods
- Students must take the CLP placement test and will be placed into levels before the first day of instruction
- Students are not permitted to register for and take more than three classes in one semester.
Fall: September-December (10 weeks)
Spring: February-April (10 weeks)
Summer: July-August (5 weeks)
To check out our upcoming semesters, please click here.